What would be the best kind of dog to be around chickens and kids?

Quote:
I dispute this. Spaniels do not chase and hunt them. They hunt for their location as trained, they point and or flush them on command, then fetch them after they are dead. If a spaniel chases and kills a bird, it is considered a breach of training. They are extremely trainable if they are of good hunting stock as opposed to flighty, overbred show ring types, which would be a problem in any breed, not just spaniels. (sorry if any of you all show dogs as I'm sure some do, if you have a well bred show ring type dog that is not flighty, I congratulate you, you have a good dog I'm sure. Please don't be offended. We all know that the actions of some irresponsible breeders do bad things to any breed)

As has been said frequently in this thread, it's all about temperament and training. Not specific breeds, but there are some decent generalizations, and some not so decent. That one about spaniels is one of the not so decent ones.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I have a almost 3 year old and a 1 year old boxer and they chase, pester and have killed some of my babies! I don't know if they think it is a toy to chase or what

I got my first Mastiff ever and I have to say she is awesome! She is lazy enough not to want to chase the chickens but will bark and walk around if anything odd comes by... she also will sit down at watch my kitties... she loves them. I honestly think she would never hurt a fly- but is big enough to chase unwanted things away.

Here's my two babies... The male absolutely cannot be around the chickens... he sees dinner... but I didn't raise him- he was a rescue.
smile.png

IMG_9856.jpg

We have a 8 1/2 year old blue heeler and her 4 1/2 year old heeler/retriever/? mix daughter. I was a little concerned, but when one of our hens started jumping the fence to lay her egg in the dog's side of the yard, they just let her be. If I don't get out there as soon as she comes out of the hole where she lays her egg, the younger dog will eat the egg. I go out to get her egg and/or let the hen back in her yard(through the gate, thank you very much
lol.png
), and she is just wandering around by the dogs, completely at ease, as are they. I was so shocked that they just leave her alone, and my husband quipped "Of course they don't hurt her, she brings them snacks!"

Carrie

Last edited:
I think a lot of dog and chicken relationships depend on the personality of the dog. My girls have had experiences with four dogs; three of the experiences have been fine and one has not. I have an old chihuahua mix who mostly ignores the chickens until she gets a bee in her bonnet and then she thinks it's fun to watch them run. They girls have figured her out, and have stopped being frightened. They've started challenging her with chest bumps; about half the time, she backs down (I need to film it because it is too darn funny).

And I have a terrier mix, who thought the chickens were her babies when they were chicks and still in the house. Now that they are full grown, she just ignores them. And I was really worried about my mom's cat-killing terrier (my mom can't seem to break him of it so she keeps him away from neighborhood kitties), but he also ignores the girls.

But my sister's lazier-than-dirt basset hound thinks it's great fun to pull chicken tail feathers. He is the only one banned from the chicken yard.

So, based on my experience, I don't think there is one breed that is great with chickens - it depends on the dog - and you can't always predict which dog will be fine and which one will not.

Good luck!

Last edited:
It's 50% dog 50% training, I'm currently working with a 4 month old mutt rescue and he's exellent with kids, tolerates anything, I'm working on chickens, he'll run by the hens and get an excitement out of their fright but doesn't chase or attack. He's told no when he bothers the birds, he's still in the puppy stage and he's very energetic so I don't blame him.

My advice is to check out a shelter, find a dog you like and have the whole family visit with it, if you think he's right for you, go for it. May be worth it in the long run.
smile.png

Ask a lot of questions no matter where you get your dog from.

Back
Top Bottom