What would do this kind of damage? UPDATE POST #65!

I still say put out motion detectors, then you can get out their BEFORE they kill again, see what it is and dispatch if needed. Last night a feral cat tried getting to mine and I scared it off before he could get in cause the alarm went off. If he tries again his rear end will be lit up. I also have "predator eyes" around the coop and they have been successful at keeping the foxes away. Every time I used bait and or traps I have ended up attracting more predators so I say NO to bait.

Quote: Your chickens are attracting the predators,
Bait just gets them in the trap.

Motion detectors don't really help much at all
It's better to invest the money in traps that work 24/7

I've determined how I plan on handling the predator situation. Build a trap big enough for a fox. Not going to bait constantly, only when a known problem exists. I have a motion detector / alarm set up as part of my setup now, but I've got game camera pics of the fox at 4AM. There's no way I'm going to wake up quick enough to get there in time to see it, never mind be functioning well enough to get a good shot off.

It WAS Odie!! My game cam caught pictures of him trying to dig under the fence. Yesterday my husband and I went out and secured the run as best we could inside and out. We had taken out a lot of trees this summer so we took the trunks and lined the run with them. Here are pics of him digging yesterday and then one shot of him standing on the logs when he returned last night.

My dog seems to have been an accomplice. She is in several of the pictures, just standing by, waiting for Odie to spring the chickens so she can get herself a live squeeky toy.

I use a electric fence, and a radio set on a am talk show to keep the predators away. The fence and energizer are cheap and will keep everything away. The one I use is a continuous charge with 2000 volt output. you can sleep soundly and be away while the fence guards for you.

I'm glad you found the culprit! I hope the new updates to the coop will be enough to keep Odie at bay and your chooks alive... and remember that it's usually the dog, be it chickens or cattle
wink.png

What a rascal! Make sure to let your neighbors know, as they may feel bad and make it more difficult for Odie to come into your yard. One line of electric fence around the base of the run will stop him from digging.

Also, I noticed on your coop pics that you don't have any skirt where the door is. You might want to bury a stretch of hardware cloth where the doors are because that's a weak spot that can be dug under.

In one year....

motion detectors...... 8 racoons, two foxes, three possums and one cat.

Security cameras.....two skunks

Steel traps....0

animal trap......1 coon

Chickens lost....0

You can say that the bait doesn't bring them, but the security cameras don't lie. When the coons are smart and try to get the food without setting off the traps they come back EVERY night instead of every third or fourth night.

Your chickens are attracting the predators,
Bait just gets them in the trap.

Motion detectors don't really help much at all
It's better to invest the money in traps that work 24/7
You have to have motion detectors that work and I have found them. One station in the house with up to 8 sensors that have adjustments and low battery indication. Chamberlain

Back
Top Bottom