what would you do? Dog help

Quote:
this.
it's sad but consider the risks if you make a mistake or the dog gets out. there's no taking that back once it happens and you'll wish you'd made the hard choice sooner.
ranch homes need dogs that can do their job reliably and safelyl, one that's agressive to kids is a risk there as well.

Quote:
X2. As sad as it sounds I had a GS, Akita, Chow mix. He was fantastic with me and my family. But hated everyone else. Broke choke collars, broke a pronged collar and ran through the underground fence. Never felt the shock collar. The day he missed a little girls face by a 1/4inch I had him put down. It broke my heart but I could not take the chance of him hurting anyone. Especially a child. I pray it works out for you.
hugs.gif

x3
If you haven't tried obedience that might be something to take a shot at? But sadly...I have to agree with the other two.

a remote collar can sometimes esculate aggression.
im not sure why this dog is being aggressive so i cant exactly give you info about what the dog is thinking.
cattle dogs are very high energy dogs that dont do well in enviorments like aparment living or living out in a kennel or out on a tie out simply becuase they were bred to have high energy and be very intellagent if they dont have an outlet for all of this energy and mental stimulation it presents itself in very "quirky" and sometimes dangerous behaviors ive seen so many people try to bring a cattle dog into a home enviorment and end up with neurotic dogs they obsessively chew,bark,bite and distroy things. you really only have two options seeing as how training on your own has not helped

#1 you can look around for a good behaviorlist NOT A TRAINER most licensed dog trainers are not equipped to deal with aggression so you need to specifically look for a behaviorlist.

or the second option is to have the dog put to sleep.
its very sad and upsetting when we have to put a beloved dog down for somthing like this when all you want to do is to knock some sense into them and tell them to stop it.

i wish you the very best with whatever you choose to do:hugs good luck

I have a yellow lab that is very protective especially with me when he is inside the house. Outside he is just the opposite. He wasnt raised around small children as my kids were teens when we got him as a pup. He is the alpha dog. He does not do good with small children thinks he should be able to punish them if they are doing something he thinks is wrong so he gets put up when the grandkids come over. We have a 6 foot privacy fence around his dog yard so he cant see or get at strangers. I agree treating aggression with agression breeds more aggression.

Quote:
Agreed, Unless you have serious time and money to spend training and housing this dog its better to put it down then risk her killing a child. What may be an annoying nip to a grown adult can kill a small child or baby.

Since management/containment can never be 100 %, don't take the chance. It's not worth the risk. My daughter had her face torn/ripped open by a Rhodesian ridgeback that escaped and attacked. You don't want to put a child/parent/yourself through such a situation. The owners had the dog euthanized the next day, and NO we did not file a law suit, but in today's society I think that we are probably in the minority.

We have an ACD who does not care for other people, especially not children. He's never bitten anyone, but he does growl. He doesn't mind men so much, but he is still definitely a family dog and very protective of his yard and "his" animals. He is usually loose on our five acres and has access to the garage. He does not go off the property and gets put inside the garage when we are not home or busy and can't keep an eye on him. We've just accepted his aggression because he is a farm dog and we don't want him to be friendly to every single thing that comes by. However, we've had to make some adjustments to the way he is treated to prevent any injuries. If we are expecting company, he is kept in the garage or in the kitchen during the winter. When we have kids over, we put him inside immediately. We do not let people pet him while he's on a leash and we never let children pet him. On a leash, this is very easy to control and he is very well behaved. I've done a lot of obedience training on a lead and this really, really helps. He is usually very good in crowds and groups, but I eliminate possible problems before they occur.

We usually tell people to call before they get to my house so we can put him in and people are usually pretty good about it. He does get used to our friends and family that frequently come over and then it is no problem at all to leave him out. He mostly needs to know that we have allowed those people to be on the property.

In your situation, I would not let her outside without a leash, especially if your property is not fenced. This will prevent charging. When you bring her outside, have her wear a choke collar and definitely work on obedience. It is very easy to give corrections with a choker and this will help you have control of her. If you are set on keeping her, you will just need to keep in mind that she is not good with children and keep her away from them. I have very very rarely met a cattle dog who was good with strangers. I've seen cattle dogs who were excellent with chiildren IN the family, but I would never trust a cattle dog with outsiders, of any age really.

Back
Top Bottom