What would you do over if you could start anew?

1.) Find out if there is a certain amount of birds you are allowed to have on your property in your area.

2.) Look online at hatcheries to narrow down what breeds you'd like to have. (Sometimes it's hard to decide so I'd make a list) also what are you looking for in your birds? Meat, eggs, pets?

3.) Before you purchase ANY birds make sure you have your coop completely done. (They grow up fast and time gets away from you)

Hi all!

We are about to get started on raising a backyard flock. We haven't done a single thing yet and were wondering what more veteran chicken folks would do if they could do it over again.

Any thoughts?
:welcome I purchased 20 chicks when I started my flock. Most of them were roosters. I wasted feed for many months before I got rid of the roosters. Except one. If I had it to do over again I would buy from a hatchery and choose hens and one or two roosters at the most.

I have ducks but I would have:
- built a bigger house
- made a larger run for them. I thought I could free range since I'm in a neighborhood but lost a girl to a raccoon.
- built the house WAY sooner. I had them in a brooder as I built the house and I was trying to 'beat the clock'

:welcome

I'm pretty satisfied with how my last flock came about but the first time I bought chicks, I made every mistake in the book. I purchased chicks via CraigsList, bought more than I intended because I felt badly about their living conditions (horrid!), and didn't join BYC first to learn more up front. Of the 7 chicks I bought that first time, 4 died within 2 weeks of getting them...that was a horrible experience for someone that had never raised chicks before.

The helpful members on this site have taught me so much, things went much smoother with the birds I've had since that initial experience.

You're doing the right thing by taking your time and coming here first. It's nice to have you here and best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom