what would you do with these marans eggs?

Aw man.
sad.png
We have a standard cochin girl that lays an egg very compareable in color to those. I'd definitely be disappointed. It seems a lot of the ones on ebay are ending up like this.
sad.png

Ok, here's a dumb question. Many times I have heard the phrase "If it's not a 4 on the Marans chart, it's not a Marans". Well then, if it was hatched from a purebred Marans pairing, but it lays an egg that is a three, what is the chicken? Is it a Barred Rock or a Silkie? Genetically, it's a Marans. I would like someone to tell me what the Marans chicken becomes when it underperforms at egg laying.

I often wonder that too. I would think its still a marans just a poor quality.

Im going to hatch them out anyway and mark them so I can see what they produce, they will go in with my marans but obviously if they lay that light I wount hatch any from them

Last edited:
Jen (Solsken Farm) got some a few months back. She posted pics, not sure if they are still here or not. She sent them back
hmm.png
. I personally wouldn't even bother, they would require a LOT of work to become close to acceptable. My banty cochin lays darker than that.....

i'd be furious to say the least and very dissapointed. i'd not use them for breeding either and request a refund. look at my welsummer eggs compaired to them. i'm sorry but there is noway a marans egg should be that much lighter than a wells. i'm very sorry someone did that to u not all breeders r honest unfortunately.

Picture153.jpg

2 left r white eggs, 3 choc eggs r my wellies, right tan is a normal brown egg and other is an ee egg.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've got a couple of about 7 year old Marans hens that lay much darker than that thru their laying cycle. They get lighter thru their cycle, but not that much lighter. I'd be asking for a refund ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom