What would you do

Aristocat123

Songster
May 22, 2019
Florida
Hello everyone and thank you all for the help you have been giving me every time I have a question.

I ordered a few baby chicks from Meyer Hatchery mid April and they were shipped yesterday. In the morning they advised me that they had a problem with one of the breed I ordered and asked if I wanted to substitute with something else and pay the difference. I said no as I was really disappointed that they didn’t have the Appenzeller Spitzhauben which I was looking forward to the most. The CS rep suggested to place the order very early next year to ensure delivery to which I did remind her that this order was placed in April-5 months ago.

What annoyed me a bit is that I should have been given the option of substitution without having to pay extra.
I want to send them an email telling them how I feel. Is it petty and whining on my side or is this the norm for the chicken business?

I haven’t received the chicks yet and I ‘ll go to the Post Office shortly to make sure they’re not laying around there being ignored.

I had similar issues except with ducks... I ordered them a few months in advance and I was looking forward to them. The hatchery called me and told me that the incubating process turned bad and none of the ducklings survived. They didn't offer me anything, just said that next year they'll try again. I was very upset about it for a while because I had purchased everything for these ducks...

Fast forward to months later (2 days ago)... I walked into tractor supply and they offered us ducklings for a dollar a piece. I was so happy because u had everything still because I planned on getting some next year. I've been outside for hours enjoying them thinking I'd have to wait until spring, which I don't have much patience for waiting that long.

From what I know a lot of the hatcheries have had hard times with the incubation process this year (just what I was told when the hatchery called about the ducklings). I would think that they would offer you some type of replacement of a different breed without charging you considering you bought these several months ago. Sometimes voicing your opinion to them through an email will either get you a discount for your next order, a replacement, or nothing at all... It truly depends on what company you are working with and the person that reads the email that day.

No, you send them that email and give em a piece of your mind. If you feel like your being duped, then whoever is dupin ya, needs to know that you feel that way. You could threaten to give em a bad review too. :mad::duc:rant
That’s how I feel. If and when I place another order it would have to be for at least 3 chicks + shipping and right now most hatcheries that allow shipping for a limited number of chicks are sold out of all the breeds I wanted to add to my flock. Thank you for your reply.

I had similar issues except with ducks... I ordered them a few months in advance and I was looking forward to them. The hatchery called me and told me that the incubating process turned bad and none of the ducklings survived. They didn't offer me anything, just said that next year they'll try again. I was very upset about it for a while because I had purchased everything for these ducks...

Fast forward to months later (2 days ago)... I walked into tractor supply and they offered us ducklings for a dollar a piece. I was so happy because u had everything still because I planned on getting some next year. I've been outside for hours enjoying them thinking I'd have to wait until spring, which I don't have much patience for waiting that long.

From what I know a lot of the hatcheries have had hard times with the incubation process this year (just what I was told when the hatchery called about the ducklings). I would think that they would offer you some type of replacement of a different breed without charging you considering you bought these several months ago. Sometimes voicing your opinion to them through an email will either get you a discount for your next order, a replacement, or nothing at all... It truly depends on what company you are working with and the person that reads the email that day.
Agreed and I will do just that. I am waiting for the delivery just to make sure the babies arrive well and healthy and then I’ll unleash the crazy chicken lady wrath.:mad::rant:lau:pop

Not sure whether or not it is the 'norm', but it is bad business on their part. Send the email and reiterate the fact that you placed the order in April. It is not petty and whining on your part.
I was looking forward to that funny looking Spitzhauben. I normally don’t have a problem fighting for what is right, I’m new to chicken business and wanted to make sure . Thank you

Years ago I had the same issue I ordered 25 chicks but they said they couldn't fulfill my order and instead of charging me they wanted to send me 8 chicks of the breed I originally ordered and some free chicks, probably all males. I did sent them a note and told them I wanted what I ordered and that I did not intend to order from them again if they can't fulfill my original order. They sent me 18 chicks and a refund for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom