What Would You Do??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I had eggs shipped this week. They shipped Monday and were supposed to be here Wednesday or Thursday...but I just got them today. They came safe and sound, but a bit cold to the touch (of course). I have them resting now. How long would you wait before putting them in the incubator?? I worry about waiting too long because of the extra time shipping...but wonder if they need to rest longer because of the extra time shipping [​IMG]. I had an awful experience with my first attempt at hatching (0 of 6), so I'm trying again with a Brinsea Mini Advance in hopes to do better this time around. So, I want to do the right thing with these eggs...whatever will give me the best chance at having a couple chicks hatch for us.

Thanks for any advice!!

2. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I spoke with the seller of the eggs. They were collected last weekend, so I am going to wait until bedtime tonight and set them. Wish me luck!!!

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    That happened with mine too, I gave a full 24 hour rest and now have 14 of 24 in lockdown. Though it wasn't as cold then as it is now, lows in the 30's instead of 10's.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Very best hatching vibes and luck sent! [​IMG]

ETA this is a not so good time of year to have eggs or chicks shipped. Between the icky weather and the Christmas shipping it is a real problem. And brooding chicks in the house this time of year is even worse! I have 9 chicks in the brooder right now and I can't toss there noisy, messy little butts outside yet! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    If we get two babies (so that they have company), I'll be happy. I hope there are two strong ones out of the seven I am setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by