What would you do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WVChickenFarmer, Jul 17, 2011.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    We are leaving to go camping for a week next Sunday. My husband is pushing for me to put my youngest chicks with the older chicks this week. I have had my 2 youngest chicks in a dog kennel inside the chicken coop for about 3 weeks now. The oldest group is 14 weeks, the second group is 10 weeks and the youngest will be 7 weeks old.

My husband seems to think I need to get them all together before we leave. So the people that will be coming to feed the chickens won't have to worry about trying feed to different groups. For some reason he thinks this will be problem for them. [​IMG] I thought about trying put them together some this week for a hour or so each day and see how they do. I also thought about taking the 2 younger ones out to my dad's and just let him care for them.

I had them all out Friday free ranging and couple of the chickens did peck one of the 7 week old chicks a few times. But nothing really that bad. Maybe I'm just worrried over nothing.

Also, my husband is wanting me leave the trap door open on the chicken coop while we are gone. Which I think is a stupid idea. Yes, our run is pretty secure from other creatures getting in.
    I did leave it open 2 nights this past week but I didn't sleep very well worried something would find their way into the chicken run/coop.

I'm going try come home at least one day next week to check on everyone. The boys that are coming to feed them have experience around livestock not sure about chickens. But I'm still going to worry.

So I guess what I am asking should I just put everyone together now and see how it works before we leave, or should I just have my dad take care of the 2 little ones?

2. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have the same issue, we are going away for a week and I have two seperate flocks. I have four 5 week old chicks that are still with their mamma. They do free range together and seem to get along with no problems. I am going to take the chance and have them all together while I am gone. I also want to make it easier on my neighbor when he feeds them.

Just my two cents!

3. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Get a reliable teenager to come and house/chicken sit..........

4. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Quote:The boy who is suppose to be coming here is reliable. But my husband does not want him have to deal with having try to feed and keep the one flock inside the run. Because they try get out since I let them free range some. Plus having to deal with taking care of the 2 in the dog kennel for some reason he thinks it will be a problem.

I can argue with my husband until I'm blue in the face. But he still won't see my point on keeping them separated. He thinks I shouldn't get so attached to them and they are too fragile.

We are actually having 3 different boys all around 18 yrs old coming to check and feed our cats, fish, turtle and the chickens. I'm not sure if they will be staying here much.

I am also going get my dad to come up here some during the week to make sure everything is ok. To make sure the boys are doing their job with the animals.

So I guess I need try figure out a fast way try to put them all together before we leave.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    It takes time and supervision to integrate flocks. Whatever you do, don't just mix them and leave! I would be more inclined to just let your caregivers feed them separately and integrate when you get back. The thing is, will the kids recognize a problem even if they are conscientious?

6. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    My concern would be what will happen when it's time to roost for the night. Firstly, will the existing flock allow the newly introduced chicks into the coop without a lot of drama, and secondly, would the new chicks even know to go in at night? Chances are they would want to follow the others in. But where will they sleep? On the floor, or will they run the gauntlet and try and find a place on a roost bar? New arrivals aren't always graciously welcomed to a roost bar.

I would devote as much time as you can this week to monitoring the integrating, making sure that everything is copacetic at roost time, as well. Then decide what to do - farm out the wee ones to your Dad if it looks like they will be picked on too much.

I will be hoping that you get things resolved before the vacation so that both you and hubby are at peace, and that you will be able to enjoy your time away, free from worries of the home front! [​IMG]

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    My two cents: supervised trial run, and go from there.

8. RSFChicks

RSFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Rancho Santa Fe
    The only way to know is try it and see how they act but I agree you need to watch them for a while and make sure nothing develops as far as the older ones pecking the younger ones. I think it also depends on the breed. It seems like my silkie babies usually can be mixed in with any other babies and they do fine. My Blue Laced Red Wyandottes also mix well but my Orpingtons do not. You just have to try and see, in my experience they are all different and they decide if they want to like each other right away or not.

www.facebook.com/ranchosantafechicks

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...integrate, supervise, go and have fun camping. Life is too short to worry about the little things. I'd also leave the pop door open to allow a place for the younger crowd to escape the older.

10. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Thanks so much for the advice. I think I might try to put them together this week and supervise them. If it does not go well. Then they will just have to stay separated.

Also, I wanted to add my dad has decided he wants to come to feed and take care of my chickens for me. So hopefully it will work out better since he has chickens too. He will know more what to do.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by