1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 6, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    What would you do to make this coop suitable for 4 - 6 chickens/better?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 2 disabled hens, one who is partially blind and one with a broken foot. There is a little door that open on the backside of the coop, where I need to attach a ramp so that they can go in and out as they please. I am investing in a 6 x 12 chain link dog pen, which I hope to put around the coop, so that they can go under the coop in the rain and snow. I am going to be taking out the waterer and fooddish at night for more room. 2 nesting boxes, 2 roosts.

If you owned this coop/situation, what would YOU do?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i'd say make the nest boxes on the exterior that might give ya a lil more room.

3. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:How would that give me more room? For roosts?

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would either move the roost board closer to a wall (toward the left in the pic) and hang the food/waterer from the ceiling on a rope or chain.

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

The waterer appears to be right under part of the roosting board. Not a good idea IMHO.

I would combine all three ideas into my improvements. 1. Move the roost closer to the wall. 2. Hang the waterer from a rafter. 3. Build a nesting box attached to the outside wall of the coop with an access hole in the coop wall and a lid on the outside for cleaning and egg collecting.

Removing the food and water at night won't make a difference in space. At night they will only need their roosts. I could even imagine a feeding system that is filled from outside the coop and would take only a small space along a wall made much like the nesting box. That, too, would allow more room during the day when your chickens will need the floor space.

I don't know where you live, but could you make a small covered spot outside for food and water? Then moving the feed during the night would be a good idea.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Kind of mentioned before me but the roost bar is over the water and I would only put 3 to 4 chicks in such a small space 3 to 4 sqft per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by