What would you put in my fish tanks?!

The initial cost is more, but once I got set up, the only thing I had to keep an eye on was the salt level and everything seems to take care of itself. I just don't have luck with fresh water (besides the koi pond). With my fresh water tanks, I was always messing with pH and everything else. Plus, you just can't beat the different personalities that saltwater fish offer! I miss having my tanks. We moved a few years ago and have not gotten another one yet.

We only did fish, starfish, shrimp, eels, featherdusters...no live rock. Although when we get started up again, I will probably try it. I have always wanted to try it, but at the time I did not have the setup for it. It takes very special lighting and is more delicate.

Yeah, the price tag keep me from salt, too.

I have a really nice planted tank with rasbora heteromorphas, diamond tetras, and various kinds of botias. I espcially like botia striatas!

i want a 20tall to keep a pair of angel fish in...
but our water is incredibly off for angels so i have peacock cichlids right now in a 55.

i also want a salty at some point and my next tank may just end up being a 10 gal nano with a pair of clowns.

Here are three set ups which could be nice.

A South American community tank with rams add a school or two of tetras such as rummynose or head and tail lites, and some cory cats.

An Asian set up. Go with either Dwarf or Pearl Gouramis, a school of Harlequin rasboras and a few clown loaches for bottom feeders.

Rainbow fish! While not as colorful as some other species when they are young, they will become extremely colorful as adults, even rivaling a lot of salt water species. They are peaceful as well. Some of my favorites are -

Bosemani
boesemani.jpg

Turquoise
Rainbowfish-Lake-Kutubu.jpg

Red
red-rainbowfish-1.jpg

and Praecox
p-89916-Praecox.jpg

Most get about 4 to 5 inches long, with the exception of the Praecox, which only get to be about 2 inches. (A bantam species
tongue.png
)

The major trick to salt is to go LARGE. Small tanks, usually under 75 gallons, are harder to maintain...it seems that larger ones tend to pretty much maintain themselves once you spend your small fortune getting everything set up, and stop adding corals, fish, and what nots. Having fresh first for 12 years, then salt for 10, we are now a tankless home. It's a wonderful hobby. I hope you figure out what will work best for what you have.

Back
Top Bottom