what y'all think might have so redden my former gals?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    When I had to give them up Hubby found them a home with some Mennonite family They also had lots of goats stuffed into an old barn last cold winter. winter. We got to visit them occ and give them some treats and took them org feed they were used to. Hubby thinks it was some kind of goat feed or minerals. Even Baby Girls comb was a brilliant red...
    Later on THE AH Mennnites decided they didn't want them anymore And we went and got them along with the lice they acquired there and Too minus prt of his frostbitten comb... Hubby then month later found them another somewhat better home
    What y'all think it might have been ? I would ask the Menn. AH guy ...but so PO at them Since I cry thinking about the lice etc the we had to deal with after retrieving them

2. My mom is from kentucky and usually i can decipher her hillpersontext but i'm having trouble here, Are you trying to ask what could the mennonites have given to the birds that made there combs so red?

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yes as explained what I was asking if you really read my question... I went into great detail...:lol:
    Hubby thinks it was red tinted. It was always so dim in that barn. Oh by the way most Kyians aren't Hillbillys:):lol:
    So what y'all think Please. Id like to take some occ to my former girls as I noticed last week there combs are dull again...
    Even Roo Roo comb was brilliant last winter
    So I guess someone with goats and chickens might know
    So appreciate y'all Thank y'all

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I can't read it either...makes no sense.

sharkerbaby and 1cock2hens like this.
  5. by definition people from the appalachian or ozarks are technically hillbilly, I meant no offense. I'm personally proud of the designation.

you may have gone into great detail but your sentence structure makes it very difficult to understand what you are trying to express

I highly doubt the mennonites added anything to tint the combs a darker red.

What is there feed now? if there nutritional needs arent being met there combs/wattles may dull

Acre4Me and sharkerbaby like this.
  6. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Are the hens free ranged? that could affect comb color a lot. The feed being tinted red would not affect comb color.

7. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Somehow I understand it:D
    As far as i can tell Ladyearth is asking if feed can affect comb color.

8. yeah shes asking what the mennonites gave them that made there combs such a nice dark red..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: