what you get when you cross a rir and rsl??

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
I am hatching my eggs from my rir rooster and my red sexlink hen...this is the first and last time i will be doing this because this is the first time i have fertile eggs of my own and i want to see if they "work" lol....so anyways, im into the whole pure bred stuff and am hatching my pure rir eggs too, but i am just wondering what the chicks might look like from my red sexlink hen and my rhode island red roo?? BTW if anyone wants these when they hatch i will probably be getting rid of them.......Has anyone done this?? Do you have pictures???

You'll probably have some mutts that will end up looking a lot like your pure bred RIR's till they grow up since the sexlinks are probably half RIR.

I've had 3/4 RIR's who looked just like their RIR moms except for the inherited pea comb from their dad.

I'd love to take them mutts but they would need to be shipped. Unless of course you were already planning a trip to/near Michigan and could drop them off on the way!
fl.gif

I would only want 2 but I know some local folks who would probably be happy to take the rest.

ok well see what the weather forecast is after they hatch and well see if we cant plan ahead where its warm for a few days....ive never shipped before...but we'll see what happens lol...

I hatched some this year, I bought a trio of RIR,s to get some eggs to put under some hens I had. The RIR hens were old and not laying to good, and then, a hawk got one of them, so the only other hens I could find for sale were two red star hens. to make a long story short . I set 6 pure RIR's under a hen and hatched three.Set 6 more got three agin. My other RIR hen went the way of the world, I then set 10 RIR's/ R s got 10. set Twelve RIR/R s Hatched twelve. My RIR roo was young so were the r.s. hens so I guess thats where I got the better hatch ratio. anyway the crosses came mostly looking just like RIR's ,some but not many had a few white feathers in their wings and four came back looking like their mothers. Ive all ways heard if you cross two different strains of chickens, you will get 25% pure from hen 25% pure from roo. and 50% cross bred. and as Ive made many crosses over the years, that holds pretty close to at least the conformation and color of the crosses.

you cant sell them as pure tho right? i wouldnt want someone doing that to me....i dont think anyways lol....so can you tell right away which ones are gonna be which??

I would not sell them as pure, but many people do , as long as you breed say, the RIR back to RIR , You will never notice the difference and they will be and look pure, But the RIR that you hatched will have a ressivie gene of the red star and if bred back to a R.S. ,you will get more ratio of R.S. next hatch. Same the the 50% ones if you go back with RIR they will hatch more RIR next time or go back with R.S. the same, But keep in mind the R.S. is a sex link meaning they bred a dark to a white chicken .so they can be sexed when hatched. The red Star is at least 50% RIR and when bred back will not get the same results. because of the genic make up .

Back
Top Bottom