whats a sizzle?!

here's a couple...

DSCF4707.jpg

i found out the hard way that she is not the right type of frizzle for show rules are they have to have yellow feet, part cochin not silkie. but they are very beautiful

Shay; Could you tell me what show this was? and perhaps who I might contact for that information? ... Because ...there is NO standard setup for Sizzles that we are aware of as of this time. If someone has done this work, we really want to know about it. The whole point of the list was to come together and work out those details so everyone would be..on the same page, so to speak.

Heaven knows I'm no expert. I've never even shown a bird but, I could find little to no information about them & few people working on them seriously when I started. The list has been a big help in bring interested people together to make those decisions. I have heard of judges telling people different things but, again, I don't know where they are getting their information. One judge told a lady they had to have curly Silky feathers, which is what we are calling Frilkies (Frizzled Silkies) and as far as I can tell are just a variety of Silkie, not a different breed. Ah, the joys of doing something new!

Thanks for the info and I still think she's pretty. Considering there may not be anyone with any lines more then F6 (that I'm aware of) and we are just at the beginnings of starting to breed true, I would say, she has possibilities and you might want to do something with that genetic material.

If you can find out what generation she is that would be helpful too. I got a beauty from my first P1 breeding but have a greater chance of breeding true from my latter generations...or at least that's my theory, which I will prove or disprove this year!

Best of Luck!
Sarah

Quote:
Ok here it goes, I went to the North Eastern Poultry Congress Show in West Springfeild, Mass. And I talked to The guy who ran the show, His name is Steve Gould He told me that a Frizzle in the apa book of breeds should be only mix cochin not silkie and not have feathers on the head should be single comb and a color regonized in the book, the feet and legs should be yellow not black or grey, they should not have any silkie breed in them only cochin. I m preety sure he knows his stuff he is the president of that show. So my girl was DQed becouse of all of that. To bad she is so cute.
13887_dsci0472.jpg

Shay, welcome to introducing the world to a new breed! Yes, as a Frizzled Cochin she would be DQ'd because she isn't a Frizzled Cochin!

She is a Sizzle and that truly is a bird of a different feather! Your fellow at the show probably is very knowledgeable about the birds he knows about but, a LOT of people have never heard of Sizzles or if they have, don't take them seriously as a breed. That is to be expected, they are new and we haven't done the work needed to be recognized as a breed yet. I think the basics are 5 years of breeding, WITH records and a certain amount of showing, I'm guessing in a class of catchalls for not recognized breeds. This is all stuff I'm learning about. This is going to take time, organization & dedication from some serious fanciers. One of the main reasons I started the Sizzle list, to bring those people together.

Please, please don't be discouraged by that first outing. She is a pretty Sizzle & hopefully, someday she will be recognized for what she is!

Sarah

Ok here it goes, I went to the North Eastern Poultry Congress Show in West Springfeild, Mass. And I talked to The guy who ran the show, His name is Steve Gould He told me that a Frizzle in the apa book of breeds should be only mix cochin not silkie and not have feathers on the head should be single comb and a color regonized in the book, the feet and legs should be yellow not black or grey, they should not have any silkie breed in them only cochin. I m preety sure he knows his stuff he is the president of that show. So my girl was DQed becouse of all of that. To bad she is so cute.

That is absolutely not correct. Both the ABA and APA recognise frizzles for all breeds. The compete within their breed and are capable of winning at all levels (including show champion). If there is a separate frizzle show all frizzles compete against each other also. Much like teh BB from each breed competes for class champion and class champions compete for show champion.

This is a realtively recent rule change, but not so new that a judge shouldn't have known it!​

Back
Top Bottom