What's causing paralysis in my hens foot??

I would offer some human super B complex 1/4 tablet a day which can be crushed and added to a spoonful of water or food. That might help if there is a vitamin deficiency or injury. If a vet is a possibility, an xray might be helpful if there is a fracture.
Thank you, I'll give that a go although she has been getting rooster booster vitamins and probiotic in her food.

I would offer some human super B complex 1/4 tablet a day which can be crushed and added to a spoonful of water or food. That might help if there is a vitamin deficiency or injury. If a vet is a possibility, an xray might be helpful if there is a fracture.

@Eggcessive
I've bought some vitamins from asda today, please can you tell me if they are suitable and how would I dose it? I've attached pics.

Attachments

• 165005434539066838453906602979.jpg
    165005434539066838453906602979.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 16500544437636769217532810862804.jpg
    16500544437636769217532810862804.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 3
Hello all,
There's still no improvement in Pearl's leg, she dropped more weight too lowest was 530g about 4 days ago and she has for the past 2 days been 585g. I'm really not sure what to do now, she's had baytril for a week, cortisone jabs and tablets for another week, then vitamin B daily for another week. All in, she's been suffering with this leg for 4-5 weeks, but otherwise seems okay apart from the weight loss...
Is this leg ever likely to recover? How long should I hold out for? Would it be best for her to end her suffering?

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm completely at a loss and shes such a sweetie 😔

@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Perris
@dawg53

Attachments

• 16506502262716895833120337869670.jpg
    16506502262716895833120337869670.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 16506506510395541522612579463432.jpg
    16506506510395541522612579463432.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I’m sorry that Pearl is not doing any better, and losing weight. Is she still eating well? Will she take some scrambed egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food? Did you ever say if you have added any new birds to your flock within the last few months? I just worry that this could be Mareks, but a leg nerve injury might not heal too.

I’m sorry that Pearl is not doing any better, and losing weight. Is she still eating well? Will she take some scrambed egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food? Did you ever say if you have added any new birds to your flock within the last few months? I just worry that this could be Mareks, but a leg nerve injury might not heal too.
Yes she is eating and drinking fine, I've been giving her 1 pot with the vitamin drink and 1 pot of milk, milk soaked bread, cheese, mealworms, sweetcorn, mixed corn, layers pellets, and bits of anything that I'm cooking with which she wolfs down!
No new birds have been added, its just her and Roo and has been for over a year. As Roo is in regular contact with her, I don't see how it could be anything viral or Mareks bcos he would be showing symptoms too right? He's his normal bouncy self lol. I have been thinking of buying 2 more hens to keep him company but I'm not sure if that's a good idea ATM given Pearl's condition? What do you think?
I'm leaning towards nerve damage after researching her condition, but again I can't be sure but I feel like everything else has been ruled out?

Last edited:
Feeding all of those foods, and not giving a balanced chicken feed could cause a vitamin deficiency. I would back off those extras, and get her eating mostly chicken feed. If you can give 09% of her diet as chicken feed, and then give a high protein treat occasionally, that would help. You can moisten a small amount of feed with water daily and make it more interesting with a little plain greek yogurt. Chickens should not get milk, since they do not digest it well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but avian viruses don't always affect all chickens. Some develop symptoms and some manage to remain resistant.

Would you consider getting a necropsy on this hen if you ultimately decide to euthanize her? If so, I would wait on getting any more chickens until a necropsy tells you what the cause of this disorder is.

Roosters are very self sufficient. The can do without a companion, even substituting other family pets for companionship.

I really really don't want to lose her, i love her so much and shes so sweet, so if there's any possibility of her recovering I would probably sway more that way rather than enthusing her. I just don't want her to suffer :(
I will take the milk away, I just thought it would be good to help her gain weight with the high fat content and bcos someone said to give her milk soaked bread..
The diet I have been giving her is only in the last few days as she's dropped so much weight so ive given her food that i know are high in fats to try help her gain the weight back that she has lost, but I will put her back on the chicken feed diet if that will be more beneficial to her in the long run!
If she does pass I would definitely consider a necropsy as I really want to get to the bottom of what is wrong! Providing that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg that is lol..
So would you say that I should keep her on layers & mixed corn, with the scraps from my cooking once a day or even every other day?

Thanks azygous, I was really worrying about him being lonely, so mich that he has also been in the house 70% of the time to keep him around us all. He hates one of my dogs though, he attacks her whenever he sees her lol, but my male dog he doesn't mind..

From my research on nerve damage, I have read that keeping her confined to the crate being the best course of action- apparently it can take months, even a full season for improvements to be seen.. Should I maybe keep her going for a good 3-4 months before I start to see signs? I am a really impatient person so it's not in my instinct to do this but I will do what it takes for her.

As you are probably aware, there are good fats and bad ones. Good fats come with fish and eggs and raw liver. Feed those to put weight on your hen. Other fatty foods will only add body fat and that will shorten the life of her liver even more.

You need to take it one day at a time. Your hen has a terminal illness, and she will die from it probably within a year. But the year can be mostly good if she's well cared for.

I've provided supportive care for so many sick and elderly chickens, sometimes I joke about running a chicken nursing home. It's a big commitment, and supportive care takes time and energy. This is why you shouldn't look at the long haul, but just focus on making each day as good as you can for your hen.

Your rooster will surprise you and probably end up being best pals with one of your dogs. I had a roo once that I rehomed. He ended up being the only chicken in a family with a dog. The two were best buds and even slept together in the dog house in summer. In winter, the rooster slept on a file cabinet in the kitchen and watched TV with the family in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom