What's causing paralysis in my hens foot??

MiniChickenMommy

Chirping
Sep 6, 2020
Hello everyone,
For almost 2 weeks now, my hen Pearl has a completely paralysed lower left leg and foot. I've had her to the vets twice already (costing over £70 each time), but they can't be sure what is causing the issue and how to treat it. So far, they have given her a weeks worth of baytril, which did absolutely nothing, and then 2 days ago we went back and she had 2 shots of cortisone and has had 1 tablet crushed in 1ml of water per day since. However, no improvement is visible as of yet. She also lost about 140g in weight in the week that she was having the baytril, from 780g on the day of the first vet trip down to 640g a few days ago. She does seem to be eating and drinking as usual, so I dont understand what couldve caused this weight loss??
Back to the leg, the vet doesn't think there is a break or fracture anywhere as there is no redness/heat/swelling/crackling or crunching of the bones. But she has suggested an xray to see if they can see what's going on. I however am not willing to pay for this as it would cost approx. £200-£250, which I quite frankly dont have, & as she is so small there is a risk she could die under sedation.
I've also been adding vitamins and probiotics to her food for the past week to rule out a vitamin deficiency, but again there hasnt been any noticeable improvement.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or experienced anything similar with a hen? Is she ever going to get use of her leg back? Shes only about 2/3 yrs and such a sweet little girl :(
Thanks for reading.

It's possible she mightve sprained or strained a ligament or tendon from jumping down off a high roost or another elevated object.
Keep her caged and provide food and water. Vitamin B complex tablets can be crushed into powder and sprinkled over feed as a top dressing for her to eat. The Vitamin B complex may help speed up the healing process.
Keeping her caged will prevent her from further injuring her leg.

Remove her from the cage in about a week and see if there's improvement. If not, put her back in the cage for another week and continue with the Vitamin B complex treatment in her feed. Remove her from the cage in another week and see if there's improvement. Repeat this procedure as necessary.
However, there might be a time where you'll have to make a decision regarding her quality of life.
These types of injuries take time to heal, sometimes a few weeks to several months. I've dealt with them.

My only concern is that these types of injuries normally occur to larger birds ie; standard breeds or heavy breeds.
I've never had a light weight bird have this type of injury.

Have you added any new birds to the flock in the past few weeks or months who might have been a carrier of the Mareks virus? Have you had any unexplained deaths or lame birds before? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? A leg injury that has affected her sciatic nerve might be possible. Is there any green bruising, swelling, or redness on the leg? Are the toes of the foot curled under? Has she laid eggs recently? Can you make sure that she can reach food and water?

Feeding all of those foods, and not giving a balanced chicken feed could cause a vitamin deficiency. I would back off those extras, and get her eating mostly chicken feed. If you can give 09% of her diet as chicken feed, and then give a high protein treat occasionally, that would help. You can moisten a small amount of feed with water daily and make it more interesting with a little plain greek yogurt. Chickens should not get milk, since they do not digest it well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but avian viruses don't always affect all chickens. Some develop symptoms and some manage to remain resistant.

Would you consider getting a necropsy on this hen if you ultimately decide to euthanize her? If so, I would wait on getting any more chickens until a necropsy tells you what the cause of this disorder is.

Roosters are very self sufficient. The can do without a companion, even substituting other family pets for companionship.

Back
Top Bottom