What's causing paralysis in my hens foot??

I’m sorry that Pearl is not doing any better, and losing weight. Is she still eating well? Will she take some scrambed egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food? Did you ever say if you have added any new birds to your flock within the last few months? I just worry that this could be Mareks, but a leg nerve injury might not heal too.

I’m sorry that Pearl is not doing any better, and losing weight. Is she still eating well? Will she take some scrambed egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food? Did you ever say if you have added any new birds to your flock within the last few months? I just worry that this could be Mareks, but a leg nerve injury might not heal too.
Yes she is eating and drinking fine, I've been giving her 1 pot with the vitamin drink and 1 pot of milk, milk soaked bread, cheese, mealworms, sweetcorn, mixed corn, layers pellets, and bits of anything that I'm cooking with which she wolfs down!
No new birds have been added, its just her and Roo and has been for over a year. As Roo is in regular contact with her, I don't see how it could be anything viral or Mareks bcos he would be showing symptoms too right? He's his normal bouncy self lol. I have been thinking of buying 2 more hens to keep him company but I'm not sure if that's a good idea ATM given Pearl's condition? What do you think?
I'm leaning towards nerve damage after researching her condition, but again I can't be sure but I feel like everything else has been ruled out?

Last edited:
I really really don't want to lose her, i love her so much and shes so sweet, so if there's any possibility of her recovering I would probably sway more that way rather than enthusing her. I just don't want her to suffer :(
I will take the milk away, I just thought it would be good to help her gain weight with the high fat content and bcos someone said to give her milk soaked bread..
The diet I have been giving her is only in the last few days as she's dropped so much weight so ive given her food that i know are high in fats to try help her gain the weight back that she has lost, but I will put her back on the chicken feed diet if that will be more beneficial to her in the long run!
If she does pass I would definitely consider a necropsy as I really want to get to the bottom of what is wrong! Providing that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg that is lol..
So would you say that I should keep her on layers & mixed corn, with the scraps from my cooking once a day or even every other day?

Thanks azygous, I was really worrying about him being lonely, so mich that he has also been in the house 70% of the time to keep him around us all. He hates one of my dogs though, he attacks her whenever he sees her lol, but my male dog he doesn't mind..

From my research on nerve damage, I have read that keeping her confined to the crate being the best course of action- apparently it can take months, even a full season for improvements to be seen.. Should I maybe keep her going for a good 3-4 months before I start to see signs? I am a really impatient person so it's not in my instinct to do this but I will do what it takes for her.

Hello all,
There's still no improvement in Pearl's leg, she dropped more weight too lowest was 530g about 4 days ago and she has for the past 2 days been 585g. I'm really not sure what to do now, she's had baytril for a week, cortisone jabs and tablets for another week, then vitamin B daily for another week. All in, she's been suffering with this leg for 4-5 weeks, but otherwise seems okay apart from the weight loss...
Is this leg ever likely to recover? How long should I hold out for? Would it be best for her to end her suffering?

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm completely at a loss and shes such a sweetie 😔

@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Perris
@dawg53
sorry not to have replied to this sooner; I've been touring an area with little-to-no wireless coverage so effectively off grid since Friday. How is Pearl now?

Back
Top Bottom