What's crippling my chicks?

Shamo123

Chirping
Dec 14, 2015
England
This has to be my worst experience raising chicks, I've had 5 die so far despite never loosing any before. A few that died i understood why but one of the most recent died due to injuries to it's knees, it was cut and swollen and the chick couldn't stand.

I've got one with a knee that's swollen 2-3x normal size, i thought slipped tendon but I'm 2nd guessing that now. I've also got another one that had what looked like open blisters behind it's knees so treated it but now one knee is swelling and it is losing motion, does anyone have any idea on what is going on here?

I'll be adding pics shortly.

Last edited:
A few days ago

Now

(ignore the brown stuff, that's propolis) wounds have improved but leg has swollen instead.

Also forgot to mention the chicks are less than a week old

Last edited:
Probably no use uploading anymore pics since no one here seems to know what's going on but I'll try again anyway

Another chick with swelling

HI, I'm really sorry that you are having to go through this. My first thought is spider bites or some other venom bite. Since there doesn't sem to be a clear injury or obvious reason. I hope they survive. I don't have any advice to give I just didn't want you to go unanswered.

HI, I'm really sorry that you are having to go through this. My first thought is spider bites or some other venom bite. Since there doesn't sem to be a clear injury or obvious reason. I hope they survive. I don't have any advice to give I just didn't want you to go unanswered.

Interesting you mention spider bite, there was a small one (i think false black widow) in the brooder box but i took it out before putting the chicks in. The good news is 6 of them appear to be OK and showing no signs of problems.

The one in the 1st pics doesn't appear to be getting any worse and is still eating and drinking. The other one however is getting worse, i managed to pop part of the growth so I'm hoping the swelling decreases after a few more epsom soaks but I'm not holding my breath.

Appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Look up rickets. I'm completely unfamiliar with it but one of symptoms is swollen joints. I feel so bad for you. I'm going to keep looking but see if those symptoms match.

Some of the symptoms do match rickets but i don't think that's it, I've been feeding them a complete chick food and also added multi vits to their water the other day so they had extra vitamins for 3 days or so.

Unfortunately i don't have any vets nearby that could help.

One thing to note is that the swelling would only occur where there is was an open wound so i thought maybe it's some type of bacteria entering through the wound whereas with mycoplasma synoviae it sounds like it has nothing to do with wounds? Only on one did swelling appear without a visible wound but that's the one i suspected may have a slipped tendon, it just suddenly stopped putting weight on 1 leg then swelling started to appear.

Got to say though that has scared me a little as it is a contagious disease and now I'm worried about integrating these to my flock once they hit 6-8 weeks, 6 of the chicks are doing great, growing well and no leg issues or any other symptoms linked to MS so maybe it's not that? As it's supposed to be highly contagious.

Back
Top Bottom