What's Going On With My Duck ???

kyla

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Hope, Indiana
My duck in losing a lot and I mean a lot of feathers. He doesn't go into the pond on his own; we literally have to throw him in. He doesn't seem to like getting wet; he makes a ruckus when we clean his cage while he is in it. What is wrong with my duck?!
he.gif

1. He's molting most likely.

2. Do NOT force him into a pond. Not all ducks enjoy water. You will have more issues later on if he's traumatized by water now. He may just need to learn to like it at his own pace.

My duck in losing a lot and I mean a lot of feathers. He doesn't go into the pond on his own; we literally have to throw him in. He doesn't seem to like getting wet; he makes a ruckus when we clean his cage while he is in it. What is wrong with my duck?!
he.gif
How old is He/She? and probably molting is the reason for all the feathers.

hugs.gif

kyla,

He's a duck.

My ducks have done most of what yours is doing. It took some of them a while before they would get into water.

What breed is he? Do you have any photo's you can upload? Forum members love pics!
big_smile.png

I second what Kevin said. DO NOT force a duck into water you will really make him/her hate it because they will see it as a thing to fear.

It's fall so more than likely your duck is molting. When cleaning coops my ducks LOVE the fresh straw so they have to come in and check out what I'm doing. Your duck probably thinks you're causing fear.

I don't know what his breed is but he is yellow. We got the duck so that he will eat the algae-which he does. But as for throwing him into the water, once he's in, he doesn't want to come out because he's having fun.

Ours were terrified when I cleaned out their pen. It was easier on them and me to let them go outside while i tended the chore. Once done they loved to play and flip the straw. Is he all alone? If so a buddy may help relieve some of his stress. Ducks are VERY social and need a companion. If he loves water once he is in it he may just be reluctant and stressed about going away from you, if he is a lone ducky.

Does he know how to get in the water? I bought a kiddy pool for my ducks to swim in and my favourite Daffy, just ran around the edges looking for a place to get in, so I picked her up and put her in, and she is still the most trusting of being picked up. So maybe if you move your duck closer to the the water, just so it touches his feet he may try and do it himself nex time.

Would loooover to see a pic. I'm still on the thread "Muscovy keeper share your pic!" heh heh, reading it in bed, gunna take me a while, got like 10 tabs open. Sorry, rambeling.

is it a large pond, like a hole in the ground filled with water? dont force a duck into a natural or man made pond. They often sense dangers (fish and turtles), and when young should never be on open water alone.

you said the duck is yellow, that means you have a duckling, not a duck. They arent water proof as ducklings, it takes them growing in their adult feathers and preening the oils across the feathers to become water proof/resistant.

is this an only duck? they should have another of their own kind. they are very social creatures and dont do well being caged or living solo.

Back
Top Bottom