What's happening here? Bloody face..

hayatiggs

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Alabama
I've been in the coop twice today (this morning and early afternoon) and all was well. Just came to the coop to refill the water and saw blood under the roosting poles, then I see this one's face. I have 5 chicks total, all 5.5 weeks old. They've never fought before. Could the chick maybe have a rated it's face too hard? Or does this look like a fight wound?
8af713da080ccabc6c4f817ffec20dc4.jpg
16150110f7caafaaff3a20bbb9093a0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also this chick has blood on its feet, and I just watched it scratch it's face at that spot again. Another chick is sitting next to it now and keeps touching her feet, not like it's pecking, more like, "what is that on your feet, can I eat it?"

You need to separate a bleeding chick or chicken because others will be attracted to the wound and peck at it, causing more serious injury or death. It looks like it has a deep scratch but how it happened is hard to tell. Do you have any loose wire ends somewhere it could have gotten its face in?
Clean the wound, put some blu cote etc... on it and make sure it is has stareted to heal (and she is not scratching it open herself anymore) and is well covered in blue stuff so it won't attract any chicks attention before you let it back with the others.

Last edited:
You need to separate a bleeding chick or chicken because others will be attracted to the wound and peck at it, causing more serious injury or death. It looks like it has a deep scratch but how it happened is hard to tell. Do you have any loose wire ends somewhere it could have gotten its face in?
Clean the wound, put some blu cote etc... on it and make sure it is has stareted to heal (and she is not scratching it open herself anymore) and is well covered in blue stuff so it won't attract any chicks attention before you let it back with the others.

I had to find something to separate her, but have it now. I tried to inspect the coop today but don't see anything that could have scratched her.
Anything besides blu Côte that I should put on it tonight? I don't live close to a store that would carry it.

I had to find something to separate her, but have it now. I tried to inspect the coop today but don't see anything that could have scratched her.
Anything besides blu Côte that I should put on it tonight? I don't live close to a store that would carry it.

Try amazon. The stuff I use is from Rooster Booster, I think it's called peck no more. As long as she is isolated it doesn't have to be blue. Do you have vetericyn? That is very good. pet stores and vets often carry it. If you have nothing, just clean it up well. It should be fine. Just make sure to put some blue stuff on it before you let her back in with the others.

Thank you for the help. She was more distressed to be separated from her siblings, haha.

Thank you for the help. She was more distressed to be separated from her siblings, haha.

Do you have any neosporin on hand? NOT the kind with pain relief (-caine substances are not good news for chickens) -- if you can keep her separate that will work too and can be found at just about any grocery/drug/convenience store.

Yes I have plenty of Neosporin, my children are accident prone that we should own stock in it, haha.

Yes I have plenty of Neosporin, my children are accident prone that we should own stock in it, haha.

Nice! Do double check that it's the original kind- give it a good cleaning and then dab some Neosporin on there if it has stopped actively bleeding. Some cornstarch can help stop the bleeding if it's still going- once the bleeding stops, gently clean/dry then add Neosporin. Others may disagree- I'm not a big fan of Blue Kote near the face... and no matter how careful you think you are, you will get purple hands and at least a couple purple cast off dots on a counter, wall or whatever when the chick goes to shake it off. =)

** edited to add: I would rinse anywhere that has blood on it. When you add her back, that's going to attract pecking (the blood). If she winds up wet, a blow dryer and small towel will get her warmed back up. They may freak for a short period but most learn to love the blow dryer.

Last edited:
When I applied the Neosporin last night she was no longer actively bleeding. I still can't tell if the scratch is on her face or maybe her waddle? It looks like maybe it's the waddle that's scratched.

Back
Top Bottom