Whats happening to her?? Please help!!! Warning desturbing pictures!!

Jan 3, 2020
I just found my chicken like this.... How do I help her and what is it?? She has been acting normal so I don't know what caused it..

Attachments

• 15824891019121078042496.jpg
    15824891019121078042496.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 25
@Roamin_goats_farm That is a prolapse of the vent or cloaca. It can sometimes occur with a stuck egg or from calcium deficiency, dehydration, or straining. It looks a bit like it. The red tissue hanging out must be kept moist and not dry out. Feel around the vent to check for an egg inside. If no egg, then try to lubricate the tissue with honey, sugar with a couple of drops of water to make a syrup, coconut oil or loive oil. Then push it back inside and hold it for a few minutes (use a glove.) While she is having the prolapse, she could be injured by the other chickens seeing red, so keep her separated in a dog crate or pen with food and water. If you have Tums or a human calcium tablet give her 1/2 of one orally today. Have her drink some water. Here is a good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

@Roamin_goats_farm That is a prolapse of the vent or cloaca. It can sometimes occur with a stuck egg or from calcium deficiency, dehydration, or straining. It looks a bit like it. The red tissue hanging out must be kept moist and not dry out. Feel around the vent to check for an egg inside. If no egg, then try to lubricate the tissue with honey, sugar with a couple of drops of water to make a syrup, coconut oil or loive oil. Then push it back inside and hold it for a few minutes (use a glove.) While she is having the prolapse, she could be injured by the other chickens seeing red, so keep her separated in a dog crate or pen with food and water. If you have Tums or a human calcium tablet give her 1/2 of one orally today. Have her drink some water. Here is a good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
thank you so much. She is doing pretty good. We have been keeping her in our tub with food and water. It went back to normal after we put witch hazel on it and she had a bath. But then she pooped and it came back out. Other than that I have felt for an egg and didn't feel one. She is pretty old. I think she's around the age where she should stop but just in case we haven't been giving her layer feed just some oats. We don't want her laying an egg in case it makes it worse.

The red tissue needs to be kept moist with oil or honey, or the tissue can turn black and die. This needs to be done until it stays inside for good. Oats are really not food for her. They are part of chicken feed, but feeding a lot can be harmful. Stick to her chicken feed. You can wet it like oatmeal if you want. Here is an article about oats and chickens:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/

Prolapse may keep popping out with each egg laid, or any straining. Just watch it. Sometimes it can come out much farther, and that would be bad. Is she pooping? Can you soak her bottom in a shallow warm tub of water? Epsom salts can be added or you may use dish soap such as Dawn or similar brand. If can rub a bit on the dark scab near the end of the bath. Then put some Triple Antibiotic Ointment or some oil or coconut oil on her prolapse after drying her. Keep her inside until she is completely dry.

Is that her underside? Do you have anymore pictures? First thing I'd say is make sure the wound is clean and put her in a dog crate with heat. It's difficult to see what's going on in the pic.
yes that is A picture of her vent . It looks inside out. She keeps acting like she trying to poop. I haven't noticed anything else unusual beside the inside out looking vent.

Back
Top Bottom