whats happening to my eggs

jaypo63

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
I just wondered what could be disturbing my girls eggs.All has been fine since we got our 2 silkies and 2 ex bats for months now but yesterday,i noticed 1 of the eggs on the floor and one that was in the nest had a little hole in it and today?none at all!!! my black silkie was broody a few weeks back but is fine now but now the cuckoo one is never out of her coop.Ive read varying answers on this.Could it be the hen herself?she is fairly small to eat 3 eggs but being an inexperienced hen owner,maybe yhis is the case.We do have VERY VERY cheeky and brave squirrels,who seem to be hungry now as winter approaches,the brave my large GSD every day on the wild bird feeder.
Any answers very much appreciated
jen

welcome-byc.gif

If the hens are eating the eggs you'll see signs of it in the nest boxes. Yolk smears etc. It sounds to me like you have a little egg thief. Can the squirrels get into the coop?

yes,the coop is within a fox proof small paddock,so the doors to coop open during the day
xx

Then you must make a plan to make it squirrel proof as well. Not just for the eggs, but the chicken's wellbeing. Squirrels can introduce all sorts of nasty pests to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom