Lady
Midnight
Orange Pineapple
Fluffy
Speak
Canella
Strawberry
A rooster named Cookie
I can't remember if I'm missing anything.
Some good ones that have passed.
Dusty Crophopper
Skipper
Purple Christmas Chicken
Chocolate

Enzo - MGB, possibly a mix...
42E61C46-8C96-484C-AEC3-F29A4AC2E22F.jpeg
The name fit her from day one, as her favorite thing to do is RACE around the house at breakneck speed. She’s going to be 5 on November 26th, and just hatched two fertile eggs (the babies are shown below). Despite weighing less than a pound, she has beaten up two hawks that thought she’d be an easy meal, and rules the house (dogs included) with an iron beak. She will cuddle with you for hours on end.

Vader - Ayam Cemani
64E32721-0503-47ED-A607-A1B51A2C7E2E.jpeg
He’s totally blacked out, and my wife insisted we name him Vader. He’s a little over 3 weeks old now. He hatched 4 days early, which scared the crap out of me. He’s a cuddler, just like his mom.

Blue - Mosaic
5291DE62-793D-414B-8F45-FB0FEAEBB19B.jpeg
Pretty sure she’s a she. We named her Blue because she has blue skin, blue beak, blue mouth, and blue-ish legs. She hatched on time and wasn’t black, so Enzo decided to try and kill her. We had to take her out of the nesting box when she was less than a minute old. As you can see, she’s doing just fine! She’s a sweet little nugget who wants to ride everywhere on your shoulder.

Our first flock was Hei Hei, a broiler Roo ( he passed the same day as his favorite gal, Penny, a broiler), Penny, Allison and Reese (CCXs), Merida, Moana, Aurora and Fiona ( RIRS).
A month later we added Barred Rocks: Harley, Cecilia, Clarice, Polly, Dorthy "Dot", Joan "Jet" and Angel.
Angel, our Hiudini, dug her way out of the run at 10 weeks and hasn't been seen since...I say cats got her, kids swear dogs got her but we never found signs of struggle except inside the pen and Hei Hei had valiently fought off something with claws. I still say cat.
Although none of the Chooks ever show concern or fear around any if the cats but hate our black lab who wouldn't hurt a flea and couldn't have gotten in coop.
And, Sweet Aurora turned out to be Prince Phillip who is now our head Roo.
IMG_20180715_190830.jpg
Prince Phillip

Enzo - MGB, possibly a mix...
View attachment 1468938
The name fit her from day one, as her favorite thing to do is RACE around the house at breakneck speed. She’s going to be 5 on November 26th, and just hatched two fertile eggs (the babies are shown below). Despite weighing less than a pound, she has beaten up two hawks that thought she’d be an easy meal, and rules the house (dogs included) with an iron beak. She will cuddle with you for hours on end.

Vader - Ayam Cemani
View attachment 1468942
He’s totally blacked out, and my wife insisted we name him Vader. He’s a little over 3 weeks old now. He hatched 4 days early, which scared the crap out of me. He’s a cuddler, just like his mom.

Blue - Mosaic
View attachment 1468945
Pretty sure she’s a she. We named her Blue because she has blue skin, blue beak, blue mouth, and blue-ish legs. She hatched on time and wasn’t black, so Enzo decided to try and kill her. We had to take her out of the nesting box when she was less than a minute old. As you can see, she’s doing just fine! She’s a sweet little nugget who wants to ride everywhere on your shoulder.

they are to cute. We had a black lab growing up called Vader :) lol

I love hearing what people name their chicks and ducks
My have Sally my NH Red.. I did have Jack and Sally from nightmare before christmas, but poor jack something got him one night..

Luna my Black Cochin Bantam, well she's all black so luna fit

Summer, all white bantam, who turned out to be a roo then he just ended up being called jerk face

Izzy my White crested polish, well she just looks like an Izzy

Hazel - Cuckoo Maran, I was just feeling Hazel with her, it seemed liked a dignified chicken name lol

Camilla - Gray Cochin bantam, (Camilla is Gonzo's chicken's girlfriends name on the Muppet show and I am a huge Jim Henson fan

Pandora - Gray Cochin Bantam, I love greek mythology and I think it's a pretty name and I think she is pretty :)

--
Ducks
Louie, my Swedish (my Dad's name)
Zeke my runner (my uncle's name)
Pippa, my Swedish (just a pretty name)
Gabby - My rouen, just another pretty name.

fyi louie and zeke are females and Pippa and Gabby are drakes, (didn't know that when I named them LOL)

I know my neighbor has a chicken named Rod Stewart lol

I have a Sally and Jack only we call him Pumpkin as Jack did not fit him in the name as he is a Golden Sea-bright but more orange then black so we call him pumpkin king lol his full name is Jack Skeleton Pumping Chicken King lol.
I had a female duck named Cena after my fav wrestler lol but it kinda fit for a girls name to.
OMG summer then Jerk Face lol love it. my neighbors nephew got them polish chickens and only one survived as they all got sick so she called the roo Survivor.. he turned out to be an a hole lol and she calls him EVERYTHING but that name at times lol. I call him that and he has tried to flog me BUT I can handle him lol an he knows I don't put up with his crap...lol

LOL about the different hens and egg setting! I haven't had that issue, the chickens are all my thing, except hubby picked a breed (BLRW) and I told him he has to pick a baby and love on it! He has 20 to choose from now! LOL!
OOH I love that idea of freezing bowls of water with fruit/veg treats in them! We hit 109 the other day and my poor girls were so hot. In CO we have to have cold weather-hardy breeds and my Coronation Sussex has feathers as dense as geese so she was very hot. My Jubilee Orpington hen is a giant fluff ball so she gets hot, too. I sprayed down their run with cool water and misted the hens, too. They hated it but it helped them cool down! I have silkies due on the 4th! So excited! I don't know what colors they are but they are all pure bearded breeds, just from mixed pens. :jumpy

PA can get cold/wet weather which ducks can handle but even hardy chickens hate the damp cold wet so we keep a heat light in the coop for them in winter and late fall, sometimes spring nights/days when we have the cold chilly rain. As some of the dumb young ones come down the ramp but dont know enough to GO back in. you can put them back in they come right out in the rain. ON super COLD days NO one goes out not even the ducks... they are happy with that lol. I can crawl IN my coop an keep warm with them and chill with them a while lol. we had freezing weather here for a week and even though it's a large coop they don't fight fight but get bitchy. SO we let them out for just a few for more less spot cleaning quickly and clean up water spilled by ducks so it stays drier. some don't go out but enough to where I have room to clean. but ones that where like cabin fever acting soon come back in like the heck with that crap out there lol. I do have a few that don't want to be IN the Coop the Roos they will come out patrol the outside an inside for hrs come to the house and peck on my door like time to go inside. I go to the coop they go in the other see that one is in he jumps out... kinda neat. But in the warm months One or 2 are Inside the coop paroling the other 2 outside. they come in long enough to eat in the morning/evening and sleep at night. AND if 2 of the young ones are NOT at their post doing their job the older ones chase them lol or hanging around THEIR fave girls lol. My bantams were never OUT at all in the winter except them few warm days but the only one who mad it was my silkie SO this year gonna do thing different. BUT I have had some tell me that some hardy breed for winter or not just dont make it their 1st winter.
also do not know if I mention this some of my hens will get in the ducks pool. I have only ever seen 2 splash in the water like they are dusting them selves. the rest just scratch at the water which I take it helps cool them off. I throw cheerios in for them and the ducks as something fun. Some people put fans in their barn/coops but sometimes that is still to hot just pushes that hot air around. Someone somewhere mentions like chinchillas you can place tile in shady places up high like make a perch for them and they can lay on the tile to keep cool. even for the ducks just make it a little of the ground like a little deck for them but side not slippy just the middle with tile.

Back
Top Bottom