1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats on his feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Aug 3, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I noticed while giving my Porcelain d'uccle a bath today that his feet feathers have weird stuff around them. This also seems to go down into the follicle. One feather pulled out and one feather while I was cleaning it came out but then he started to bleed. This black stuff was in the feather that came out... AGH!!! ANy ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last picture shows one of the feathers that seems to have a core of this black stuff... it comes off when I wash it but it is very weird....

2. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Very weird haha I've never noticed that before. maybe its just dirt build up under the feather casing? [​IMG]

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I thought it might be cuz it comes off but the last pic shows how the feathers ate wrapped around it.I have been giving him a bath once a week to keep the feathers clean.

4. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    bump....

Any ideas out there??

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The one with the "black stuff in the core" is a blood feather. New feathers have a blood supply until it breaks the casing. If a blood feather is cut, a bird can bleed to death. If a blood feather is plucked, you will see blood, but it clots quickly. This is important to know in case you ever trim wings. The other areas of feather thinning in a barred shape is usually diet related.

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Thanks! SO there is nothing to worry about then right? What could the feather barring be diet wise??? The rest of his feathers dont have this it is just the ones on his feet.

7. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Is he young? It could also be from wear and tear. It gets pretty rough down the around the feet. As long as other feathers look good, I would totally not worry about that. A blood feather is just a new developing grown up feather. I looked up an adult porcelain d'uccle and noticed they have some black streaking in the tail area. That's what I think the little black areas are on the feather shaft. Your baby looks fine and new feathers will grow where the others were.

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    YAY! Yeah I have no idea how old he is... or if he is even a he! was suppose to be a she! sigh....I think he may be at like 12 or 14 weeks... maybe? He seems to hate his feet feathers... so thats good that they are his big boy feathers [​IMG] maybe I will give him a little protein to boost him up a bit.

9. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    YAY! I'm glad that's one less thing for you to worry about.

10. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    yeah I have enough to worry about at the moment. I have a sneezy chick and after reading all these posts I am pretty sure that she is going to spontaneously com-bust or something... I swear I will never buy from a breeder again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by