What's pasty butt look like?

As I am new to the whole chicken world, I would "like" to see some pics of pasty butt so that I will recognize it if it happens to my chicks.

I just got a book about chickens today, and saw a good example of pasty butt in it.
Here it is:
IMG_0596.jpg

sickbyc.gif

Pasty butt is basically a bunch of dried up poo clogging up its vent, making it unable to poop.

Last edited:
Its called Chickens: Tending a Small-Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver. Its a pretty nifty and informative book with lots of good pictures.
Its small, about 138 pages long.

I have a lot of chicks in the brooder right now and when I clean it, I check each chics rump. Sometimes though I will see a chick struggling to poop and then when I check his rump it is all pasty. So it seems to come on pretty fast as I clean the brooder every other day.

I just get a warm paper towel and wet it a little. Then I pull it off. A little fuzz comes off with it, but it gets the job done.

I have a RIR that seems to always have poopie on it, but she is full grown. Am I supposed to clean it's bucket or shouldn't she do this herself?
idunno.gif

THanks alot for the photo. None of my chicks look like that thank goodness!!!!

This forum and the people on it are great! Thanks!

I just got my first baby Rhode Island Reds last week, and I just lost one to pasty butt. I found her (at least I think it's a her) dead this morning. So, I got some paper towels and a bowl of warm water, and got to cleaning some babies' bungholes. Half were clean, a couple were really nasty, and the rest had big poops stuck to their down (is it called down on chickens?). I got them cleaned up, changed their bedding and made sure to handle them all a bit, since I read somewhere that it makes them friendlier to humans as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom