What's the absolute easiest way to make a run?

mamakelly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
DH is so busy, he has no time to help me. I think I could use a saw to make a few cuts, but I've only used one a hand full of times. I bought a dog house that's converting very nicely to a coop, but I'm stuck on the run. I really want a run with a door that's tall enough for me to walk in, but realistically I'm not sure if I can build that by myself with limited building knowledge. So does anyone have any suggestions for a run that's super easy to make? Pictures would be helpful.

Have to second the dog kennel. Not only do they show up on craigslist, but a lot of smaller hardware stores will carry all the parts and you can make one that is the size & configuration that suits you. A couple of hours to bolt it together and add any predator precautions you want and you're good to go.

I vote dog kennel and precautions. Much easier than pounding posts and building a door. Totally from my point of view. I can pound posts, but I'm totally inept at building anything.

We used a chain link dog kennel from Tractor Supply that's 5' wide x 15' long x 6' tall. Out of sheer stubborness I put the shell up (and screwed the tubes together with self tapping screws so it wouldn't come apart) and all of the chain link by myself. We worked together to put up the hardware cloth with a bunch of zip ties, but I could have done it by myself and just taken longer. You can see pictures of it on my page. The kennel we used was $199 with a $40 rebate thru the end of the year--but the rebate is only good on this particular model called the 2-in-1. Good Luck...you can do it!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hmmm I hadn't ever thought to use a dog run for a chicken run. That's an intresting idea. I'll have to check Craigslist and see if I can find a used one!

I put this together a month ago and it was pretty easy. The base is 8'x8', I nailed the 6 2x4's together and made a box and drilled 1/2 inch hole for the 1/2"pvc pipe. I put chicken wire on the bottom, so nothing can dig in, and then covered it with chicken wire, fastened with zip ties.

46125_100_0797.jpg

It works really good, and was inexpensive to put together. GOOD LUCK! Nancy

Nail together a rectangle flat on the ground, with studs spaced every 3-4 feet
Get it nice and square, and put on your wire, then stand it up
Repeat as needed until you have enough walls

Add some corner bracing to keep it squared up
It's easier to do the 2 long walls first and attach them to the coop before you close in the end

It's just like building a wall in a house

BrandysPuppies079.jpg

Back
Top Bottom