Whats the best bedding for nesting boxes

Joeyjojo

Chirping
Jan 8, 2022
Hi just after some advice whats peoples thoughts on bedding for nesting boxes whats best

Attachments

• 2AD7AB66-D0D1-4B08-B5AF-6FC9363ABFB8.png
    2AD7AB66-D0D1-4B08-B5AF-6FC9363ABFB8.png
    1 MB · Views: 32
Did you make them yourself or did you purchase them?
The boxes I built with some help of plans on here. The doormats I bought at dollar tree. One door mat I cut in half so it makes a pad for 2 boxes. For 4 nest boxes I have 8 pads so when one gets dirty I can just swap it out with a clean one. Then just hose the dirty one off and let dry.

The boxes I built with some help of plans on here. The doormats I bought at dollar tree. One door mat I cut in half so it makes a pad for 2 boxes. For 4 nest boxes I have 8 pads so when one gets dirty I can just swap it out with a clean one. Then just hose the dirty one off and let dry.
Where'd you get the plans?

Hi just after some advice whats peoples thoughts on bedding for nesting boxes whats best
What's best will vary from one person to the next. People use straw, hay, wood chips, wood shavings, dried leaves, shredded paper, rags, carpet, feed bags, or Spanish moss to name some of them. People have tried some of these and didn't like it so they tried something else. There can be some trial and error in this before you find what you like.

I think nest bedding should be relatively inexpensive and readily available. I cut and dry long grass from areas I don't mow or weed eat. Pretty close to hay but nor exactly. It's free for a little work.

I use hay because when I started keeping chickens my boss gave me a bunch for free. After I used it up, I tried to switch to pine shavings which is what I use in the coop, the ladies rebelled, eggs laid everywhere except the nest boxes :lau Went to the feed store and bought some more hay $7.00, put it in the nest boxes, no more problems ;)

Back
Top Bottom