Whats the best "natural" chicken feed?

king4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
New Lebanon,Ohio
I've been doing some research on chicken feeds and I've narrowed my options down to 3 brands of feed. My question is, with wanting to keep my whole chicken/egg thing closest to organic as possible what "natural" feeds do you folks recommend and why? My top 3 brands to choose from are Buckeye,Kent and Hubbard. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

All 3 of your above mentioned feeds are foreign to me as I am in Eastern Canada. Personally I do not use organic feeds either as they are probably pricier. I use poultry grower mash and or lay mash as it has a little bit of everything in it. Crushed pellets, cracked corn, barley, etc.This is a well rounded feed.

I stay away from just feeding pellets so I lessen the chances of my birds developing sour crop.. That in my books is so much harder for the birds crops to break down and a grower mash and or lay mash has much smaller pieces and a lot easier on the chickens digestive system. Some chickens are very fussy about their feed and you may have hens that really don't go for just pellets and they may steer away from eating as much as they should. A mash mix gives them a variety at least. Steve

Back
Top Bottom