what's the best water-er?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrygirl4513, Jun 20, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    We are leaving on vacation friday and will be gone for 10 days. I've got someone coming to take care of my critters, but I was wondering about the water container I use. That is, the plastic ones with the red bottom. But I was thinking about a galvanized water container. Will it keep the water cooler longer? The plastic ones are useless in that aspect. I thought maybe if the galvanized one is better I would get one. I'm trying to make it where the water didn't have to be changed except for every other day instead of everyday. Now I don't have water access to the chicken house. You have to take them and fill them up at the tap. So any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We've always had plastic for the chicks and metal for the adults. We have one of those heaters that you set a metal waterer on for winter, so needed metal. In the summer, we've always had open water containers for the sheep and dogs, that the chickens have also helped themselves to. They drink it all.

One thing about the big metal waterers, is that they are darned heavy, especially when full. I don't know if that will make a difference to you. I hope you get some other replies. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a metal one, so you have both types.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What about making a plastic one out of a 5 gallon bucket? I agree with Woodland, those metal ones are heavy. I make my hubby fill our up because I can't haul it back out to the coop.
    Depending one how many birds you have you can make a 5 gallon water-er that would last for a few days. Heck they are cheap to make, make more than one. I got my buckets at the grocery for nothing. Wally World has them too.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I only have metal so I can't compare. The water does stay pretty cool but I don't know how much cooler. When it is in the high 90's - 100's I dump in big lumps of ice I make for them.

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Thanks guys. I guess what I'm really wondering is if you do use the galvanized do you notice that it keeps the water cooler for a longer period of time?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

countrygirl....I have both. I use the plastic ones for the babies....mainly because I have to clean them out daily because of poo. The metal ones are great! They do keep the water cooler, if they are in a cool shady place. You can freeze 1/2 gallon milk jugs, and place them in the watering can. Just cut the plastic off, and the ice will melt slowly, keeping it cool. Enjoy your vacation, and be safe!

7. feathersnmore

feathersnmore Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    justusnak you just gave me an idea it is so hot out here i will freeze a couple jugs and put them in the pen for them to lean/sit on as they wish THANKS:D

ohh and to the use of the waterer's i use the 3 gal. plastic for mine but if going for a few days i would do the make one out of a 5 gal bucket.

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

9. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Quote:Just a thought...

If you put the frozen gallon jug into the watering can with just the lid off of the jug, would the water seep out of the jug as it melts, thus saving the jug for re-use? Or do you think the watering can would overflow with the additional water from the melted ice?

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You could leave the lid off of the jug and put the ice in the waterer. I dont think it would overflow...it is a pressure thing with those waterers. Mine never have..but I have 30 chickens useing a 5 gallon waterer, and a pool. LOL So, water never goes to waste here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by