What's the best way to bulk up non meat birds?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I have to make a 90 minute drive to get the birds processed so I'd like to be able to make as few trips as possible. If I have some egg layers how would I plump them up for processing?

currently they are a day old and in 8-10 weeks when I take my day old cornish x.

they don't need to be huge, we're a family of 3 :)

I believe protein would be the key. I don't know what your feed budget is, but Purina Flock Raiser contains about 20% protein and would definitely add some weight.

I think you will be dissapointed with 8 week old layers. Maybe take your cornish buy som more raise them and take your 16-18 week old layers with you when you get the second bunch processed

An old traditional favourite is to confine the birds and feed them anything high protein as well as stuff like corn and mashed potatoes with any milk you could spare. Also, keeping them in restricted light conditions is said to help them gain weight, mainly fat. This comes across as a bit too much like factory farming to me though and it would probably be more rewarding for you to do what 'ericsplls' recommended and hold onto them a little longer. Plus I'm sure they will be much more appreciative of not being cooped up in a dark chookhouse or something.
Well thats my 2 cents anyways
wee.gif

I've been told the old farmers fed them milk, but that was raw milk. Raw milk is more easily digested because the enzymes needed to digest it are still in there, heat destroys them. Really though most of the extra wieght they put on is probably going to be fat. Genetically they can only be just so big.

Thanks guys for all the info, maybe I'll take up my first seven to get processed then I'll pick up a few more to process later with my regular sized birds.

Back
Top Bottom