Whats the difference between a button quail and courtnix quail?

Chickadee-23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
South Carolina
Im wanting know the size defference between the 2, i have 2 male silver button quail, im wanting to breed them, but im having trouble finding female button, i know somone that owns some courtnix quail their white & black, could you breed them together i mean is it possible? Just curious thanks

the courtnix are larger then the buttons. I do no think you should even try to breed them just due to the size difference. Anyone???
You can buy more button eggs and incubate them to get a couple females for mating with the males you have, selling off the ones you do not want. I do not know of anyone who will ship live adult birds but lots that sell eggs. good luck

Ok thank you, i bought them from a local market, thy were young i was told they were a pair, but they both have white bibs, they get along together they sleep together one of the males bib is bigger, im not sure why the other one is not the same, when i bought the they were 4 weeks old they bout 5 months old now, & no eggs yet so im guessing thy both males, but thank you!!:)

I wouldn't recommend hybridising them, they are different species, it might be interesting but you would run the risk of them being sickly or not hatching at all I'd think.

Also yes, coturnix hens could kill button males EASILY if they felt like it.

Have you looked on things like craigslist and such? People sell quail all over the place, I can't recommend anywhere because I'm in the UK but I'm sure you could find someone who has buttons. Males do tend to live together ok as long as there are no females, so when you get females you will probably have to separate them into two pairs.

I am too late to responds this thread, yes absolutlely they can be breed together in fact i have 3 hens coturnix with 1 roo button in a cage, and my hens is laying eggs like a machine.only my problem with my button males was his aggresiveness with girls for mating.

Quail hens will lay eggs with or without a male present, as far as I'm aware they are not capable of interbreeding. Have you ever tried to hatch the eggs?

I live in Orangeburg i still havn't found any females but i havn't had time to look i been busy with family holidays & a funeral so im going to the market this weekend if it dont rain i know someone that has some thy will up thr this saturday, if they dont i will pm u thanks

Back
Top Bottom