1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the Longest Amount of Time You've Ever Waited for a Hen to Lay Her First Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cleopatra, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cleopatra

cleopatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    I have a 10 month old hen (SLW) that hasn't started laying yet. I was just wondering how long a hen can go without laying her first egg. If they don't lay eventually, won't they have problems?

2. catsandpoultry

catsandpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My golden comets were promised to lay from about 15-18 weeks, but....... 21 weeks and no eggs!

3. catsandpoultry

catsandpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My one hen has appeared to be trying to lay eggs, but so far no luck. She has never laid before, but I heard that sometimes that can still mean egg binding. I have also heard that it can take a while for the first egg to be laid. Which (if any) is true?

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Some breeds can take their sweet time. My faverolle waited 8 months. My jersey giant I'm sure will be close to a year, and my orpington probably the same I think my orpington is from the english strain and may be big like my jersey. My silkies on the other hand were early layers of 6 months old. LOL My brabanter probably won't lay until she is 10 11 months she doesn't even squat. She is about 7 months now.

5. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Unsure of all that, But I do believe it can take a bit for the first egg and they squat a bit before actually laying. It's true there can be egg binding. She should walk very up right and funny. I think your girl is fine and it will be a bit before she lays, this is when it seems to take forever for them to lay, the one or two weeks leading up to their first egg. I have enough layers that I just don't even worry about it too much now, Though some more need to start so I can make some money LOL.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have waited 11 months for 2 pullets of different breeds to start laying. Both laid for a few months, then went broody.

7. cleopatra

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    I guess I'll just have to hang in there. Looks like I have a little more waiting to do.[​IMG]

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Ouch! I couldn't imagine feeding for a year without eggs. I hope you wanted walking incubators for your flock.

Our longest wait was 34 weeks. I was very tempted to make pot pie...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. cleopatra

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    Well, my SLW was one year old yesterday and finally laid her very first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by