What's the lowest temperature baby quails can survive?

Chickychickyxx

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Finland
Hi. This is my first time hatching quails. My heating lamp is arriving late. I already have lots of chicks. Can I use my heater for them in the meantime? What's the lowest temperature that they can survive? I'm extremely worried now. :(
Thank you

Hatched or unhatched?

You could technically take one apart from a lamp and then assemble something. Or craft something using a portable light on an extension cord. I crafted my egg incubator this way. Its basically a portable light secured in a plastic tote. Both from wall mart. (You have to be really careful of fire hazards doing this though. But any kind of setup you'd have to have care about fire. Videos of others working with poultry I often see them using metal chains around lamps, lights for heating to have zero chance of fire. But I also doubt very many do fire extinguishers.)

Hatched or unhatched?

You could technically take one apart from a lamp and then assemble something. Or craft something using a portable light on an extension cord. I crafted my egg incubator this way. Its basically a portable light secured in a plastic tote. Both from wall mart. (You have to be really careful of fire hazards doing this though. But any kind of setup you'd have to have care about fire. Videos of others working with poultry I often see them using metal chains around lamps, lights for heating to have zero chance of fire. But I also doubt very many do fire extinguishers.)
They are hatched (after 23-24 days :D ) Thank you for your suggestion. I decided to use my growing led light. It create quite a lot of heat lol. I was about to use 60w bulb but afraid of fire...so I didnt... Yeah I also saw some doing that, I'm gonna wait until my lamp arrives and see :p

I start my newly hatched chicks at 95-100 and start lowering the temperature a few degrees every day. By 2 weeks they're usually comfortable at room temperature, but those first few days they aren't comfortable below 95.
I am using growing plant light now and they seem very well now which is great. I still have to keep the tempt by my...heater when the light is off though.... I don't have anything else to use as a heat source now :S Themormeter shows around 25-30degree celsius, the chicks surprisingly look happy :D

So question; the duckling getting out of the shell looks like its shivering? Its shaking a bit. Is that normal? (Does that mean its too cold?)

Hey!!! Thank you guys!!! I had managed to make a wooden brooder using a 25w bulb, the temp was kept at only 30C (86F) for the first 1.5weeks. Now I put them in a bigger box in the garage, no heating source, just normal light and they are doing fine and happy, just...flying everywhere... I'm surprised that they are such hardyyyyy birdsssss!!!

Back
Top Bottom