whats the next stage of feed?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pefferlawchicken, May 17, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok my chicks are about 6 and a half weeks old and i have been feeding them 20 % chick starter crumbles , all it says on the bag is that it can be fed untill 6 weeks of age , so what is the next stage of feed i should buy ??
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Hmmm....I usually fed the chicks chick starter until about 4 months old, close to laying age. I don't know if anyone does anything different.
  3. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Yeah, I give them the starter till about 4 months too, but after one month, I start giving them scratch occasionally as snacks... but I think starter is ok till 4 months, which is a good time to start them on layer feed to get them ready to lay eggs [​IMG]
  4. CanadianCrower

CanadianCrower Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Does it matter if the starter is medicated? Can you still feed it for 4 months if it is?
  5. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Some feed companies make a middle ground feed to feed between chick starter and layer. I use Blue Seal products and they have a product called grower-cal. It comes in pellets, is a little cheaper than chick starter, and lacks the excess calcium of layer. Check with your feed dealer- they probably have a brochure that tells you what is next. Since the bag states to feed it till 6 weeks, I am sure they have a product for the 6 week to 16 week age group.

You CAN feed the medicated chick starter that long. I just choose not to.
  6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, it depends what brand you use. Mine has a 'grower' formula for 8-10 weeks up until laying. Just read the bag and do what it says [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by