whats the next stage of feed?????

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
ok my chicks are about 6 and a half weeks old and i have been feeding them 20 % chick starter crumbles , all it says on the bag is that it can be fed untill 6 weeks of age , so what is the next stage of feed i should buy ??

Hmmm....I usually fed the chicks chick starter until about 4 months old, close to laying age. I don't know if anyone does anything different.

Yeah, I give them the starter till about 4 months too, but after one month, I start giving them scratch occasionally as snacks... but I think starter is ok till 4 months, which is a good time to start them on layer feed to get them ready to lay eggs
smile.png

Some feed companies make a middle ground feed to feed between chick starter and layer. I use Blue Seal products and they have a product called grower-cal. It comes in pellets, is a little cheaper than chick starter, and lacks the excess calcium of layer. Check with your feed dealer- they probably have a brochure that tells you what is next. Since the bag states to feed it till 6 weeks, I am sure they have a product for the 6 week to 16 week age group.

You CAN feed the medicated chick starter that long. I just choose not to.

Back
Top Bottom