What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaryJanet, Jul 26, 2019.

1. I very much like your coop. Enough shelter but lots of ventilation!
    If I ever build a new one I'd like one like this :clap

2. Love your coop! Enough shelter and heaps of ventilation. If I ever build a new one , I want one like this! :clap

3. jkkirkland87

jkkirkland87 In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2018
    Clifton, Texas
    I love it! :lau:gig:lau:gig

4. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Chirping

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    I wish I had made my roosts easily removable - for roost & coop cleaning. They always seem to be in the way when cleaning out the coop.

After 1 year I added barbed wire crisscross over my windows (which are mostly top half open) - keeps chickens from trying to sneak out and prevents others from trying to get in.

I use deep litter method and my cleanout door is a small access door at floor level. I wish I would have made it a bit wider (so that my big shovel fits through it easier). It fits but I always have to carefully aim at the opening.

I also had to scrap the idea of being able to split my main house into two separate coops - this ended up not being feasible so I built a 2nd much smaller coop with run underneath for injured/young chicks.

5. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    This would be nice...

6. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Another thing I wished I had taken into consideration was a source of shade. Since we repurposed an existing shed, there was no shade at all there. I put up some shade cloth on the south side. That was in 2015.
    coop1.jpg
    Subsequently tho, these volunteer Chinese elm trees came up all around and in the run, and you can't even see the coop. It's definitely in the shade now.
    coop 2019.jpg

7. rehdancer

rehdancer Chirping

Apr 2, 2019
    Northern Wisconsin
    I agree with more space, I've only had my girls (and boy) for 10 weeks and already I'm thinking of next spring, broody hens and their chicks !!

8. Coreenelane

Coreenelane Chirping

Feb 22, 2016
    , member: 530033"]Hi Peeps!
    I'm planning a coop build and I'm hoping to take a few lessons from the BYC community before I start. So, please share one thing you wish you had included in your coop.
    Thanking you! :)[/QUOTE]
    I would have more storage room to store the incubators and other feeding dishes for the chicks plus a better place for feed barrel and bedding for the nest boxes. It would be nice to have 2 sections for nest boxes, one for eggs and one for the broody hens so they would not be chased off their nests. Make sure you have a place to hang your cleaning tools too!

9. peteflynn

peteflynn Chirping

Jul 23, 2014
    Making sure I can stand up straight when I go into the pen!! My hubby used 6' 4x4s and of course dug them into the ground. I', 5'4" and still have to stoop to be in the pen to feed, water, clean

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Wider doorways for wheelchair access and setting nest boxes on either side of a center aisle so our little granddaughter could go in and gather eggs. That’s the only change I’d make - otherwise we love our coop and hoop run just as we designed and built it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: