What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

I wish I had made my roosts easily removable - for roost & coop cleaning. They always seem to be in the way when cleaning out the coop.

After 1 year I added barbed wire crisscross over my windows (which are mostly top half open) - keeps chickens from trying to sneak out and prevents others from trying to get in.

I use deep litter method and my cleanout door is a small access door at floor level. I wish I would have made it a bit wider (so that my big shovel fits through it easier). It fits but I always have to carefully aim at the opening.

I also had to scrap the idea of being able to split my main house into two separate coops - this ended up not being feasible so I built a 2nd much smaller coop with run underneath for injured/young chicks.

Another thing I wished I had taken into consideration was a source of shade. Since we repurposed an existing shed, there was no shade at all there. I put up some shade cloth on the south side. That was in 2015.
coop1.jpg
Subsequently tho, these volunteer Chinese elm trees came up all around and in the run, and you can't even see the coop. It's definitely in the shade now.
coop 2019.jpg

, member: 530033"]Hi Peeps!
I'm planning a coop build and I'm hoping to take a few lessons from the BYC community before I start. So, please share one thing you wish you had included in your coop.
Thanking you! :)[/QUOTE]
I would have more storage room to store the incubators and other feeding dishes for the chicks plus a better place for feed barrel and bedding for the nest boxes. It would be nice to have 2 sections for nest boxes, one for eggs and one for the broody hens so they would not be chased off their nests. Make sure you have a place to hang your cleaning tools too!

Back
Top Bottom