What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

When setting up my coop I read to have one nest box per every three chickens...well...I have only three girls and have found two trying to get into the nest box at the same time and often if two, or all three, are wanting to lay, one or two will lay her egg in the straw by the roost. It's safe there, just wish I'd have added two nest boxes. I have even had one chicken sitting on the back of another just so they both can lay in the box. Goofy girls!!

Maybe we should do an old fashioned "Run Raising". I bet there would be no shortage of volunteers.

Who wants to go to Ribh's house and build her a new run?

Thanks for your tips everyone, I'm very thankful :)

The Wish List goes like this.

Weather constraints: mild winters, hot hot hot summers

Predator constraints: foxes, hawks, snakes

Pest constraints: wild birds, mice, rats, possums

Deep eaves for shade
Raised roosting and nesting boxes to provide cool shade beneath
Roosting box enclosed on 3 sides
Fully enclosed attached run
Dutch door to run
Run divided into "rooms" so weeds can grow, new pullets can integrate, sick birds can be put in "hospital"
Paved apron
Run roof: half solid, half mesh
Removable roosting bars
Easy clean roosting box: I'm thinking of a dropped floor with sides 30cm deep, with an external side open-down-and-out on hinges so litter can be swept out into the wheelbarrow and then into the compost
Access to roosting bars for midnight capturing
External access nesting boxes
Rainwater capture and storage
Breezeway for hot summer nights
Big enough for 9-12 chooks to live harmoniously: 20-30m2

I think that's everything... Now I better start saving up :)

I know that home built is better but I am not very handy and I found this on- line which seems to tick most of the boxes. I plan on getting one to put into my fenced off chook area so I can sleep in and the girls are still safe but "outside" .:)

https://www.gtmall.com.au/flyline-xl-superior-chicken-coop

It would help, before buying, if you could actually see one, or at least get more details as far as a materials list. Here most of these are built with very flimsy walls and framing, and any medium sized dog could break in.
The dimensions given include the screened in 'run', and it's maybe okay for two or three standard birds, maybe.
It will probably work short term, as long as you don't need to close them in that 'kennel
area.
It's short! You will be crouching, and standing upright is so much better.
Mary

Perhaps a "poop door" at floor level in the wall against the roosts. Wide enough to get a rake in easily and drag dirty litter outside.
I have a cleanout door that hinges on the floor and flaps out to the run. My coop is elevated, so I can put a wheelbarrow just below the door flap and use a hoe to shove all of the coop bedding right in. It's awesome! By far the best new feature to my new coop. The peel-and-stick-down linoleum flooring makes for really easy cleaning too since the poop doesn't stick well (my coop floor is plywood)

4B78B1F8-F82B-4290-9BCC-188538DEC2EF.jpeg
I have a cleanout door that hinges on the floor and flaps out to the run. My coop is elevated, so I can put a wheelbarrow just below the door flap and use a hoe to shove all of the coop bedding right in. It's awesome! By far the best new feature to my new coop. The peel-and-stick-down linoleum flooring makes for really easy cleaning too since the poop doesn't stick well (my coop floor is plywood)
I did the same, tho I haven’t cleaned it out yet! And I did vinyl flooring and carried it up the walls!

Thanks for your tips everyone, I'm very thankful :)

The Wish List goes like this.

Weather constraints: mild winters, hot hot hot summers

Predator constraints: foxes, hawks, snakes

Pest constraints: wild birds, mice, rats, possums

Deep eaves for shade
Raised roosting and nesting boxes to provide cool shade beneath
Roosting box enclosed on 3 sides
Fully enclosed attached run
Dutch door to run
Run divided into "rooms" so weeds can grow, new pullets can integrate, sick birds can be put in "hospital"
Paved apron
Run roof: half solid, half mesh
Removable roosting bars
Easy clean roosting box: I'm thinking of a dropped floor with sides 30cm deep, with an external side open-down-and-out on hinges so litter can be swept out into the wheelbarrow and then into the compost
Access to roosting bars for midnight capturing
External access nesting boxes
Rainwater capture and storage
Breezeway for hot summer nights
Big enough for 9-12 chooks to live harmoniously: 20-30m2
Misting system down the middle of the run
An automatic drawbridge ramp up to the roost to deter mice and rats from getting to the chooks while they sleep

I think that's everything... Now I better start saving up :)

I'm going to keep editing the list as I remember things.

A tap
Somewhere to sit
Cup holders
Shelves

Last edited:
I also wish I knew of a way to keep the bedding (pine shavings in our case) in the coop. I stacked two 4x4s (making a 7 inch wall we step over) and they still get the bedding over this. It collects against the sliding door and then jams it or prevents it from closing all the way. So we have to scrape the bedding away form the door on the human side all the time. I just don't want to build the wall much taller because my toddler needs to be able to step over as well. I did think of removable slats that could slide in grooves on either side of the door frame, but that seems like more work to go through to access the coop than scraping some shavings with my foot.

Back
Top Bottom