Whats the problem?

dmorefield1

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Ive had my chickens since early march, When I bought them they were around 8-10 months old. They were missing some feathers on their back and close to the tail. I was told they were molting. Since then it has only gotten worse. They look really ragged and I don't know what to do. I'm sure it's not protein deficiency because of how and what I feed them. I'm down to mites or anti-pick. Any ideas would be great. Also, I consistently get 5-6 eggs per day from them(6 hens).

I'll get a picture in the morning and try to get it posted. I've already ordered the poly peepers and blue kote so i'm hoping that helps. It's not affecting egg production as far as I can tell but they definitely look worse for wear.

You didn't mention if you have a rooster. They can damage the feathers from over mating. If no rooster, I would suspect feather mites.

sorry, forgot to add that, No rooster here and as I said ive had them since march. I don't know if they had a rooster where they were before but the condition has only gotten worse. Will DE work to rid them of mites?

DE works awesome for mites! We use it on the dog for fleas as well. Just put it wherever your girls dust bathe.
smile.png

DE will not always clear up an infestation. So keep seven dust, poultry dust or animal safe CV-80D spray on hand. Best to spray and dust the coop too as they will just get them again if you don't.

Another thing you might consider if you cant see mites is what I call 'Micro Mini mites' most people can not see them with out a magnifier glass. Very easy to miss and cause that feather loss. CV-80D spray kills them dead though lol. Used that on my silkie but sense she is show and I hate parasitic bugs with a passion she and my roo are getting front line drops as well.

:)

Back
Top Bottom