What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Pics
As for being sexable at hatch, that's not 100% and really depends on the line the birds come from. If bred for, it's usually a strong trait in a line, but if not selected for it can become foggy and inaccurate.
Thank you for that correction! ❤️

I got mine from Cackle, I believe, and they were pretty obvious to me even though I'm a rank beginner at sexing chicks. As they feathered, the ones I believed were boys actually turned out to be, so I just thought as a breed they were sexable across the board like that. Guess I lucked out.

I really like this breed. We ordered half a dozen of each sex and kept the cockerels to about four months, I believe, and they never seemed to fight but just always snuggled together at night. We did the same with EEs the previous year and I can tell you, THOSE cockerels were WAY different! I almost hated to process the Doms, they were so calm and sweet, but the EEs ... couldn't wait to get them taken care of!

What's the rarest breed or variety of chicken, duck, goose, or any other poultry you have?
I have two Whiting True Blue hens. I had a rooster, but he met a tragic end.

I had to research what they were because the just showed up on our street and my cat herded them into my backyard with the other chooks.

They had to be dumped, because who wouldn't claim a perfectly good breeding trio of rare birds?

Thank you for that correction! ❤️

I got mine from Cackle, I believe, and they were pretty obvious to me even though I'm a rank beginner at sexing chicks. As they feathered, the ones I believed were boys actually turned out to be, so I just thought as a breed they were sexable across the board like that. Guess I lucked out.

Yeah, it's the case for any of the autosexing breeds. If you don't take care to select for that autosexing trait when breeding them, it can be lost. As an example, there were some lines of Legbar that, not long after they first entered the country and were hugely desired still, were bred and bred and bred indiscriminately to the point that they started to lose that one trait that was a big reason they became popular in the first place. Because of how the genetics work in most of these breeds, there will still be some properly autosexing individuals that hatch from parents who haven't been properly selected for the trait, but what happens is you end up with more and more that are kind of in the gray area between masculine and feminine chick down or even a touch over in the wrong direction, so they're all harder to be sure of when sexing. It's entirely possible that Cackle selects for the trait in their breeders, as that would save them a bit on hiring specially trained chick sexers, so it may not have been purely luck, but it is something that you can't always be sure of if you're not buying from reliable sources.

I'm not sure how many of my various breeds are rare, but I think my silkie colours are less common where I live - paint and partridge.

I've just sold a frizzle cuckoo polish and a blue barred polish who were both stunning.

And I've got a hen sitting on some rarer coloured Sussexes - red and silver. Unfortunately the buff and coronations didn't make it.

Gosh, I wish I could get barred/cuckoo polish

These were my two boys. Both gone to new flocks now. I wanted to keep them, but too many roosters!

The blue one got more barring in his hackles and tail as he grew on a bit but I didn't get photos.
20220204_094555.jpg
20220204_094555.jpg
20220204_094649.jpg
20210920_180317.jpg
20210920_180229.jpg

Yep Lavender Ameraucana and a isbar

I have great news the breeder I got the eggs from is going to send me more for the cost of shipping. So happy it get another chance! 🤞🏻😃
Waiting to see if their viable is killing me! But going to candle them again until Friday! 🥴 looks like must of them have dislodged air cells 😩 put them in an egg carton small end down. Shifting them three times a day. 🤞🏻

I have a brown red Ameriucana and a blue orpington and black white created polish and a black Copper Marans and blue silkie. I almost bought some ayem cemani but I didn't. I know blue is rare in poultry so maybe mine are somewhat rare. I love rare breeds though and am Planning on getting some seramas. I have other breeds but they are pretty common

Back
Top Bottom