What's the rating for a Little Giant Incubator?

I've never owned a incubator, so all this is new to me.
I've researched the LG's and it seems theres more horror stories then good.
A lot of people prefer a Hova to a LG. Which is the best type of Hova to look into?
I know I want forced air, and a egg turner. Other then that I'm at a loss on what to get.
Thank you for your patience!

Last edited:
Quote:
I love this one..1588 has to be the easiest one around. I have very good results. So many chicks have I hatched from this one bator? Not sure. I had the LG still air at first...nothing..then I got this one..no tweeking, ever! They always hatch when they are supposed to also..how do they know?
frow.gif

Oh, and I don't care for egg turners...do better turning them myself..turners seem to be too close to the heating elements.
Plus, I like the hands on, just fun for me.

Last edited:
I used a LG still air with no turner for my last hatch in my kindergarten after school class. I think that because I was manually turning the eggs I had to more closely monitor the incubator, not to mention I have a slight OCD problem
big_smile.png
so I would have anyway so I really didn't mind. I noticed that my biggest problem wasn't really that the temp fluctuated so much but rather that the thermometer that came with the incubator just sucked! After I bought a reliable thermometer things didn't fluctuate at all.

I just picked up a 1602 hova bator for like 25 bucks it is a good one the present hatch has been pretty uneventful when I finally finnish my cabinet I will probably use the hova as a hatcher

A lg is useable and I'm not saying you can't get perfect hatches out of it but a hova is easier. The temp knob on an LG is very sensitive so it takes some patience and repeated small amounts of pressure to set the temp right. My hova was my first bator and I had adjusted within a couple days. The LG took me a week of messing with it. The LG has very small water wells and just a styrofoam bottom. You have to add other sources of moisture to it or get a plastic liner which I believe are sold seperately but I never bothered looking since I wanted a hova genesis this year anyway. A hova has a plastic tray with multiple areas in different shapes and sizes for getting exactly the humidity you want. The bottom of an LG is also much harder to clean if you don't get the liner because you end up with water deposits and chick poop or blood directly on the styrofoam. Scrubbing styrofoam can damage it. My hovas I just have to worry about a little ~2" slanting rim around the edge where the plastic insert stops. Other than that everything goes on to the plastic which is much easier to clean. Both incubators cost the same and both of mine were just as stable when set next to each other in the same room. While again I will say you can get great hatches in an LG there are just no benefits to one over the hovabator. If you want to spend a little more money the hova genesis comes preset with an electronic thermostat that is more accurate and a fan.

I have two 1588 Hovabators with turners. I love them and have had very successful hatches in them. I started with a still air incubator but lost many eggs due to temp spikes. I am not a fan of anything with a "wafer" type heater, but the 1588 is all preset and you just "plug and play".
tongue.png
If you spend money on eggs, then make the investment for a Brinsea or Hovabator 1588. You won't regret it.

the hova bator I got was a "reptile"version I think the only difference is the plastic pan in the bottom has more wells for water I can fine tune the humidity a bit better

I too bought a 1588 after using a LG still air for a period of time. The 1588 costs a bit more but I found it is far more user friendly than the LG. I did have decent hatches with my LG but it is very touchy to set. The 1588 regulates the temperature automatically, which in my opinion is the toughest thing to control with any incubator, especially an LG. All I have to worry about keeping the humidity at an acceptable level and thats it. I guess I feel if you are going to buy something you may as well spend a few more bucks and get a good one to start with. I really wonder how many start with an LG because of the price and end up discouraged from poor hatches and just give up all together on trying to incubate eggs.

Back
Top Bottom