What's the smallest bantam?

ecogen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
I was wondering what the smallest chicken is (assuming its a bantam)?

And, do any small bantams lay reasonably well?

thanks.

The world's smallest breed is Seramas.

Edit: Here are some pics of two pairs of my Seramas.

37373_100_4665.jpg

37373_100_4666.jpg

Last edited:
You got your answer Seramas. Or Malaysian Seramas if you want to google it. My smallest pullet is NOT the smallest type there is and she's hardly as big as a good sized wren at this point. She's chocolate and lovely.

I her sister - who appears to be going Micro - literally sparrow sized also chocolate and a short back to die for. I want her, I don't think he's selling LOL. She was weeks old and about the size my Delaware chicks hatch out at. I love them.

very cool. Does egg production and egg size vary much? It seems the breed is still under development. I currently have coturnix quail and am looking for an additional breeding project in my suburban yard. Perhaps seramas would work?

They are great birds to work with. Some lay fairly well. Friendly, cute and at least some are very good broodies.

thank you all for the information. Its true, BYC is full of enablers - LOL.

Is it difficult or expensive to get eggs for these guys?

Last edited:
And most of the better breeders only sell older chicks or mature birds. They want to SEE what they're producing.

I got mine free from a friend. I lucked out. Sure they're not SQ but some of them aren't a bad start and the pet quality ones are still adorable.

Back
Top Bottom