What's the temperature where you are???

Wednesday 10th April 10.53a.m. Cool and Sunny. 22.2 / 31.5kph SW, Hg48%, 17.7C / 63.9F top of 20C / 68F. Wind easing. Partly cloudy. I had to get the flannie pjs on last nite!

Moon is 2.4%

Mawson Station chef turned aurora australis photographer revels in his finest photos so far​

By Clancy Balen
Posted 3h ago
A green and pink aurora agains a dark blue sky stretches above a clear body of water in Antarctica.

A photo of an aurora australis beaming near Mawson base, Antarctica, in March 2024. (Supplied: Justin Chambers)

Justin Chambers has been chasing the aurora australis for over a decade, and he's now in one of the best places in the world to find them.

The chef turned amateur photographer spends a large part of his year at Mawson Station, in the Australian Antarctic Territory.

As the sun enters the solar maximum — the period of greatest solar activity during its 11-year solar cycle — Mr Chambers said he has witnessed the best aurora of his life, and managed to get it on camera.

"Having chased them for so long, I find the beauty in everything, but seeing these … I've never experienced anything quite like it," he said.

"Colours I've only dreamed of.

"I've never really seen pink, I've seen red and green, there was a hint of blue, we had purples and we had oranges."

More beautiful pics here!

I've seen the Aurora, Northern Lights, in Alaska and have even seen it as far South as where I am, in Seguin but it wasn't like the Northern or the Australis,
it just was a red hue across the western sky.

Last edited:
I only had partial here. It was neat, but not impressive. I think a total or annular would impress me. Even then, I think watching the animals and/or shadows is what I would really enjoy the most.
The annular is kinda cool!!! Only thing is you have to wear glasses the whole time. I saw the last one back in October, over in San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom