Whats the weirdest thing your chickens have eaten or tried to eat??

I got used to it, but it was odd at first. my granddaughter is such an animal lover, she even loves the bugs, calls them Roley Poley's and she would feed them the carrot when visiting, and say goodnight to them along with the chickens, cats and dogs...
tongue.png

Aw! I love roley polies!!! Worms?...Not so muchXD Yes, I said goodnight to my chicks, chickens, and parakeet BUT not bugsXD

The oddest thing my chickens have ate would have to be ... feathers! My males chase the females around, pull out their feathers, and eat them ! Is that normal?
D.gif

I had my flock go to town on the backing portion of the laminate wood flooring! We were in the middle of redoing all the floors in the house and my lab decided to steal a board. needles to say, she left it in the back yard and of course my noisy chickens found it. now when I let them out to free range I make sure the yard is clear.

The Weirdest thing my Chicken have eaten is my Blended Thai Iced Tea. Thai Iced tea with coconut milk, vanilla, stevia and ice in the blender. It has been very hot here (98-104F) and they decided that my iced tea looked more interesting than their cold watermelon. They like the ground up ice but get brain/beak freeze and shake their heads, but after that they come back for more. FYI I got a triple yolker from the Red after this. Don't know if there is a connection as she lays double yolkers 2-3 times a week.

Oh and they also love the Styrofoam insulation around the hot tub.I just hate it when they eat that! Big holes everywhere. Just covered it up with tarps, but glad it won't hurt them.

That's sweet! She would look good in a tiara. I just thank her every morning for her egg. She knows I appreciate her hard work.

lol but maybe her production red horomones + caffeine = triple yolker? Must be hard to be a chicken.

Going to give them chipped ice, but not caffeine, so much.

They appreciate me bringing them crickets as we have them in spades around here at the moment.
I kill them with my shoe, then pick them up by a foot or antennae stunned out of their minds.
Then put it thru the top of the coop for them to grab from their roosts. The crickets aren't all that dead cause last night Amidala
crowed really loud as her stomach jumped. She also made a sound like a sneeze, but
I realize it was just a live cricket leg kicking down her throat. Was funny, weird and unsettling all at the same time.
Caught 33 crickets in 45 mins last night. Been like that for a few weeks now, guess it is mating season for
the crickets. Its fun to hunt for the girls and they appreciate it, even if it is past their bedtime.

The leading lady of our coop is Loretta, a beautiful production red.
One very busy day, my wonderful hubby brought home a bag of McD's cheeseburgers so that I did not have to cook supper.
I was at the picnic table eating a burger when Loretta jumped up on the seat next to me and STOLE my burger
ep.gif

Once the rest of the girls saw that she had a "goodie", it was a free-for-all on that burger.
It was one of the best chicken TV episodes we've ever had!!!!

Shirts, rings, my hair ... but the weirdest so far has been my fingernails. I rarely paint them, so when I showed up at the coop a few days ago with shiny mint green nails the babies decided that I'd attached treats to my fingers! And yet they don't seem to like any treats besides oatmeal, mealworms, and crickets.

Also, they were afraid of corn on the cob. Cobs are scary!

Back
Top Bottom