What's this beautiful duckling ?

[QUOTE="Duckfarmer1, post: 21963292, member: 546746UOTE]. How old are your mallards? When I first got my mallards, I did a tonnn of research because I swore I had two hens and one non- producing drake. Found that on the internet somewhere. He/she had no curl...greenish head, and the brown feathers with wing patch. As months went on I watched this bird and kept insisting in my mind that it was a drake due the head but there was no curl...and the confusion went on. I kept reinvestigating on the net. Anyways...HE is now a full on drake. Beautiful..got the silver belly..and yes the tail curl. So, I absolutely don’t doubt you that your ducks look different, perhaps they are a mix? Perhaps it’s the different climate? Who knows... but, I’m asking the age simply to let you know that sometimes it takes a loong time for coloring to come in. But they are gorgeous and I hope they stay as they are!

[QUOTE="Duckfarmer1, post: 21963292, member: 546746UOTE]. How old are your mallards? When I first got my mallards, I did a tonnn of research because I swore I had two hens and one non- producing drake. Found that on the internet somewhere. He/she had no curl...greenish head, and the brown feathers with wing patch. As months went on I watched this bird and kept insisting in my mind that it was a drake due the head but there was no curl...and the confusion went on. I kept reinvestigating on the net. Anyways...HE is now a full on drake. Beautiful..got the silver belly..and yes the tail curl. So, I absolutely don’t doubt you that your ducks look different, perhaps they are a mix? Perhaps it’s the different climate? Who knows... but, I’m asking the age simply to let you know that sometimes it takes a loong time for coloring to come in. But they are gorgeous and I hope they stay as they are!
The 3 in the photos I took this morning are just a few months old, from the same batch.
I rescued the duck and the drake about 2 years ago from a filthy box behind shops and flats in Nicosia, payed the man and left.
Although she has sat several clutches of eggs, she has never successfully hatched any until this batch. 6 hatched 5 survived, but one disappeared a couple of weeks ago, maybe a dog or fox.
Hopefully more next year

Gorgeous pics. One of my favorite breeds. And how did Muscovy get there please?
No idea but they are quite common here now. They do well here, I started with about 12 given to me 2 years ago and now have almost 60, with some beautiful colours.

60? Wow do you use them for meat or just for ornamental? I have had as many as 15 but now I am down to 5 mine are getting older to 12-8-7 are their ages. I’d love to see more pics.

60? Wow do you use them for meat or just for ornamental? I have had as many as 15 but now I am down to 5 mine are getting older to 12-8-7 are their ages. I’d love to see more pics.
Not sure what to do as we're getting too many Come and take some of ours.

Some pics
IMG_0213.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 6
They are sure gorgeous! Any problem having many drakes ? Mine have 1/2 acre fenced to roam and I could never keep drakes together with out fighting I only ever had 4 at one time.

Back
Top Bottom