What's up with her feathers?

Slhelton

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2018
I'm relatively new to raising chickens. A few weeks back we lost my kids' favorite chicken so to mend their broken hearts and in a moment of weakness, I picked up two chicks from a feed supply store. One is an EE the other is a Buff Brahma. The Brahma looks like she put a talon in an electrical outlet! Does anyone know what's going on with her feathers? They were supposedly hatched August 22nd but I think they might be a bit older than that. Anyway, they don't have mites, they've been with us for two weeks and have been really healthy. We're feeding medicated food and water with electrolytes and apple cider vinegar. Bonus picture of my adorable little two week old Black Cochin I picked up from a good hatchery.

Gracie 1.jpg
Gracie 2.jpg
Rosie.jpg

I'm relatively new to raising chickens. A few weeks back we lost my kids' favorite chicken so to mend their broken hearts and in a moment of weakness, I picked up two chicks from a feed supply store. One is an EE the other is a Buff Brahma. The Brahma looks like she put a talon in an electrical outlet! Does anyone know what's going on with her feathers? They were supposedly hatched August 22nd but I think they might be a bit older than that. Anyway, they don't have mites, they've been with us for two weeks and have been really healthy. We're feeding medicated food and water with electrolytes and apple cider vinegar. Bonus picture of my adorable little two week old Black Cochin I picked up from a good hatchery.

View attachment 1537929 View attachment 1537930 View attachment 1537931

Cute chicks. Once they fully feather in they will not appear scraggly as I like to call it. At about 4-5 weeks looks improve greatly and 6-8 they look pretty darn good and keep getting prettier every day with their coloring and maturing physical characteristics. Good Luck! Have fun!

Oh gosh the way you described your brahma was amazing! I was laughing so hard. But I do believe she'll be just fine.
Love the Easter egger as well! But I'm afraid that's not a black cochin. That's a barred cochin, prettier birds in my opinion:)

Sorry to hear about your bird, I've dealt with that recently myself.

View attachment 1537929 View attachment 1537930 View attachment 1537931

Also I could be wrong hope looking at right photo but if the white one is a Brahma that looks like it could be a light Brahma not buff as these are white/black. Buffs grow up to be brown/black. They are all enjoyable to watch grow and some day lay eggs. Enjoy!

We have 6 Brahma chicks...yours is normal...LOL. I am including pictures of my girls at diff stages. They were 23 days old in this picture.

Benedict 23 days old.jpg
Poachy and Sunny 23 days old.jpg

water with electrolytes and apple cider vinegar.
You can nix the ACV and electrolytes.....they shouldn't have the EL constantly, and should always have fresh plain water as well as EL when EL is needed.

Fuzz looks normal, just the down still attached to new feathers emerging.

Back
Top Bottom