1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats up with Indian River pullet w/ feathered legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gerry2011, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Have a 6+ weeks old Indian River (Delaware x New Hampspire) pullet whose legs are getting feathers. A "Silkie" in the wood pile? [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, that's interesting, since neither of the breed involved is feather-legged. Could you post a picture of the legs?

Gosh, I wish they wouldn't have called this hybrid an "Indian River" since that is the original name of the Delaware breed.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I smell a hatchery stinker somewhere in this story................. Oh but of course we all know the hatchery would never ever do such a thing, being as they are such fine upstanding business models, with the upmost respect to be truthful to their customers [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

5. Gerry2011

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Will get close ups tomorrow. She's the only one of 6 that has the feathery legs. Curious to see how she grows out. Is this mix referred to as a white sex link? Almost too bad the Delawares aren't still known as Indian .

6. Gerry2011

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Sure meant to get these posted long before this, but the camera had different ideas [​IMG] She is now 7 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LooperChickens

LooperChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Granite Falls NC
    I have Indian Rivers and none of mine have leg feathers it might be a deformity and just may have some feathers on the legs [​IMG]

8. LooperChickens

LooperChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Granite Falls NC
    Is it just that one leg or both?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by