What's Up with Martha's Feathers?

I would be very careful bring her or nay inside unless you can slowly get them back acclimated to outside temps again.

Bring the bucket up some so they can't do so much bathing in it just low enough to dunk their heads, It worries me when mine bath in their buckets in these temps we were at 2* this morning. I have been putting my Muscovy's inside when they stay out for long periods my Runners and Buffs come out and go inside so I am not as concerned about them. Frostbite is a concern with muscovy's since they have flesh on their faces.

Martha may have wet feather which makes their feathers look scruffy and they aren't very water proof either probably why she went inside to preen. The other duck didn't chase her out? Having no good water proofing makes them more susceptible to hypothermia too since the water doesn't roll off but soaks into their feathers and down. Does the water roll off of Martha.

Usually a few of mine get wet feather a few months before molt starts then once they molt feathers look good again.

Maybe Martha could use some extra protein and some good fat in her diet right now to help her through these frigid temps.

Mine are getting corn, mealworms and dog food.

Thanks. That makes sense about bringing her in. It's the same justification (but more extreme) for why we have not used a heat lamp in the duckhouse. We've been anywhere from -12 to -5 F when we go out in the morning, and daytime temps have not gotten out of the single digits...so yes, very cold.

I need to adjust the bucket. It used to be higher, but that is largely layer after layer of ice and straw built up. We need to address that for next winter. For now, I may just put some bricks under the bucket.

Martha is not getting chased or pushed out of the duckhouse. I'm looking at the duckhouse camera right now, and they are also snuggled into the straw together. Some are preening and some are sleeping.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 10.50.51 AM.png

Hypothermia is a concern because, non, the water is not really running off her back (although it's hard to tell because she has so much ice on her feathers).

Our guys are getting corn and mealworms in addition to soup and their pellets. Martha is a fiend for meal worms. We worry about giving her too many. ;-)

We're going to add kibble this afternoon.

Thanks so much!

They look so adorable, well they are adorable. Mine would do a song and dance for meal worms I don't think they can od on them unless they got into the container. then they probably would but they are a good source of protein and that is what feathers need.

Yes sit you bucket up off the ground so it isn't sitting in water once these temps moderate. I say that a lot because one year a member on the goose thread had one of her prize geese electrocuted because the bucket was sitting directly in a bowl to catch the spilled water and must have shorted out. Any way I sit all my heated bucket up off the ground so they don't sit in water. I don't like anything that uses electricity sitting where it is wet. Bricks work well concrete blocks, 4x4 what ever is available.

They look so adorable, well they are adorable. Mine would do a song and dance for meal worms I don't think they can od on them unless they got into the container. then they probably would but they are a good source of protein and that is what feathers need.

Yes sit you bucket up off the ground so it isn't sitting in water once these temps moderate. I say that a lot because one year a member on the goose thread had one of her prize geese electrocuted because the bucket was sitting directly in a bowl to catch the spilled water and must have shorted out. Any way I sit all my heated bucket up off the ground so they don't sit in water. I don't like anything that uses electricity sitting where it is wet. Bricks work well concrete blocks, 4x4 what ever is available.

It's on bricks now! lol

It usually sits on bricks inside a plastic container, but the ice build-up around it is serious. I'm going out to put it up another level now. :) Thank you!

That made me laugh it's on bricks now. lol

It has really been taken over by straw and ice.

I don't even have my 5gl heated bucket set up since I have 4- 2gal going.

Protein doesn't put weight on it's carbohydrates another reason why so many are against feeding corn but my way of thinking in winter a little extra carbs isn't a bad thing mine are not over weight at all. Protein gives good lean muscle and feather growth needs protein.

I give mine some everyday as a treat along with whole corn and meal worms. for 42 birds they get 2 cups of dog food 2 cups of corn and 2 cups of meal worms some go more for one of the other. Ducks love all 3 Geese corn and mealworms some dog food chickens all 3. With the frigid temps we're having now I have been filling a bit over. Then they have their feed also tis is just treat.

Looks good. I don't think some extra dog food or cat food is going to cause your duck to get over weight just start small and see if it helps with feathers etc. Your both look very healthy and in good feathers. What treats are they getting?

Back
Top Bottom