What's Up with Martha's Feathers?

They look so adorable, well they are adorable. Mine would do a song and dance for meal worms I don't think they can od on them unless they got into the container. then they probably would but they are a good source of protein and that is what feathers need.

Yes sit you bucket up off the ground so it isn't sitting in water once these temps moderate. I say that a lot because one year a member on the goose thread had one of her prize geese electrocuted because the bucket was sitting directly in a bowl to catch the spilled water and must have shorted out. Any way I sit all my heated bucket up off the ground so they don't sit in water. I don't like anything that uses electricity sitting where it is wet. Bricks work well concrete blocks, 4x4 what ever is available.

It's on bricks now! lol

It usually sits on bricks inside a plastic container, but the ice build-up around it is serious. I'm going out to put it up another level now. :) Thank you!

That made me laugh it's on bricks now. lol

It has really been taken over by straw and ice.

I don't even have my 5gl heated bucket set up since I have 4- 2gal going.

Is it advisable to give extra protein to a duck that looks slightly overweight but has a few feathers that don’t look water resistant?

Protein doesn't put weight on it's carbohydrates another reason why so many are against feeding corn but my way of thinking in winter a little extra carbs isn't a bad thing mine are not over weight at all. Protein gives good lean muscle and feather growth needs protein.

Protein doesn't put weight on it's carbohydrates another reason why so many are against feeding corn but my way of thinking in winter a little extra carbs isn't a bad thing mine are not over weight at all. Protein gives good lean muscle and feather growth needs protein.

How often would you recommended dog food as treats for additional protein?

I give mine some everyday as a treat along with whole corn and meal worms. for 42 birds they get 2 cups of dog food 2 cups of corn and 2 cups of meal worms some go more for one of the other. Ducks love all 3 Geese corn and mealworms some dog food chickens all 3. With the frigid temps we're having now I have been filling a bit over. Then they have their feed also tis is just treat.

I'd start out with offering them about 1/3 cup between them let them get use to the taste if they are like mine they will love it in no time. Then unless they are over weight you can increase it some . I really think having extra weight during cold months isn't bad I stop feeding corn around end of Feb before egg laying season starts. I also don't feed kibble warm months since they are finding all the protein they need with foraging.

Iain Utahs vet told her to feed whole corn to her flock so they have extra weight going into winter. Helps them get through the cold better

I'd start out with offering them about 1/3 cup between them let them get use to the taste if they are like mine they will love it in no time. Then unless they are over weight you can increase it some . I really think having extra weight during cold months isn't bad I stop feeding corn around end of Feb before egg laying season starts.

Okay! Does the gray one look overweight to you? She just seems to have more of a waddle and she doesn’t stand as straight.

I’m sorry @3bird to highjack your thread! Oops

Attachments

• 008E6178-C300-4568-9DD9-C3CD1D0917BC.jpeg
    008E6178-C300-4568-9DD9-C3CD1D0917BC.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom