Whats up with my couchin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazylilchick, Jan 3, 2008.

1. crazylilchick

crazylilchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Missouri
    Hello I have a beatuiful white couchin, it is 9mo old and I have started to notice lots of white feathers around the coop. Then I noticed it looks like she has lost a lot of feathers on her legs and feet and I see a lot of pin feathers. I live in Missouri and its winter time here, are her feet molting in December!!!? Do you think she pulled them out? The skin on her legs and feet look healthy. She is the only one doing this. What do you think. She isn't missing feathers anywhere else.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    My unprofessional opinion is your cochin is moulting...

Julie [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't worry too much. If you see pin feathers, she is molting. I have one who dropped about 30% of her feathers this week for a moult. [​IMG]

Unhealthy legs though. Describe.

4. crazylilchick

crazylilchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Missouri
    Yuck .....I'm looking at my spelling now....The legs look normal, just missing feathers. Would a Cochin moult in the middle of winter? Starting with her legs? She has never plucked feathers in the past. Hmmmmmm

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Do they kinda look like this?
    [​IMG]
    My black banty cochin's feet in the rain, when she was going through molt. It's probably just a molt, she started molting late november.

6. lizmcd

lizmcd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Florida
    Anyone know when I should expect my baby girl to start laying. She was a few weeks old when I got her on my Bday June 1st. She's getting so big and I wasn't sure if all chickens start at the same time. Plz help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by