Whats up with that...wrong color egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shakecc, Mar 18, 2009.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I have 7 hens...a mix of black sex link, buff orps, barred rocks, light brahmas. I believe they are all laying now, brown eggs of course. We were gifted a pair of silver laced wyndotte banties in the fall, which now brings our hen total to 8. the pair is aprox. 8 months old. I do not believe that the 8th little hen has been laying yet.

Well, yesterday when I collected eggs there were 8 eggs. 7 brown and 1 white egg, alittle smaller than the rest. I assumed that this was the little wyndottes first egg. I was surprised when I looked it up today and saw that the wyndottes are supposed to lay brown eggs.

Does this mean she is not full blooded? I am no judge of chickens, but she looks like the pictures. No big deal, just curious...

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

If she's full blooded she should be laying brown eggs.

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Is it REALLY REALLY white, or very light brown? I have had a few eggs that are what they call 'tinted', I think, from my Cochins, but they lay light brown eggs anyway, and these were just lighter then normal.

I wondered at first too! They looked so white compared to the others!

4. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Quote:Maybe that is it... Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by