What's up with this rump?

mirandaleecon

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Panama City, FL
Any ideas why this chick's tail is always pointed down? Been that way as long as he's had feathers. Father was a Faverolle and mother was an EE.

He appears perfectly healthy but he has a goofy waddle. It's pretty adorable actually...

I hate to break this to you but both the "waddle" and the tail held down signify your young bird is likely sick. The liver may be diseased and causing acites which is a fluid build-up in the abdominal area. Check his belly between his legs. Is it swollen and pushing his legs into a wide stance?

The tail held down is often a sign of pain, too.

He may be acting normally in other respects, but then chickens are notorious for being able to conceal how they're feeling until it's close to the end.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. You've only told us about two symptoms, and both indicate illness, not health. If you have an avian vet, it wouldn't hurt to have this bird looked at.

He's only about 2 months old and has been that way for pretty much his whole life. Wouldn't he be a little young for liver issues?
I'll check tomorrow for swelling. He was destined for the pot regardless, mostly just curious what was going on. If he turns out to be sick, I will send him for necropsy to find out what the issue is so I can prevent it in the future...thank you!

Sadly, no, he's not too young. Pathogens can enter an egg from an infected hen, and the resulting chick will be hatched with a disease.

I lost a ten-month old Brahma cockerel to lymphotic leucosis two years ago. His liver was two pounds when weighed at his necropsy. He acted pretty normal until the last weeks.

It's definitely a wise move to have a necropsy done if he dies.

Hmm I was thinking it was a birth defect or something. Maybe I will sacrifice him and send him for a necropsy now. We have been waiting until the roos get rough with the girls because it's much easier to come to terms with eating them that way but I don't want him to suffer...

Back
Top Bottom