What's wrong with her eye?

I would boil some water and put a T-spoon of salt in it, once it luke warm i would bath her eye. If you have eyedrops for infected eyes i would use one drop 3 times a day.. I work in a pharmacy in UK and we sell Optrex for conjunctavitis/pink eye. Not sure what its called where your from. She could of got something in her eye days ago and its just started to swell now. If it was both eyes i would say the shavings or an allergy to something you have used...If she starts showing other symptoms ie. Sneezing, bubbles in the corner of her eye i would give her Tylan We only use Tylan 200 in UK as we cant buy antibiotics. Ive seen a lot of posts where they get Tylan 50 from tractor or feed shops. Only give the antibiotic if she shows other symptons...Hope this helps. Big hugs Tracy xx

Quote:
i just learned this lesson the hard way lost 17 chicks to cedar!!! its no good! get pine shavings asap

ok so I have a chicken that had a bad eye infection so I thought. it was swollen almost shut and could not see out of it and it would not eat. I isolated it to see if it had signs of coxi. no blood in poo so I moved on with treating the eye. my hen is much worse, I see you talking of mg here, what is that? I have been told to get Tylan and to give oral or shot form and I have tonight.

should she give her bird a shot of Tylan? or maybe oral if she can not do the shots. either way please don't waste time on treating just the eye infection as I did. I am so worried we are losing our hen and don't want you to go through this. your bird is georgus, is she a frizzle Cochin?

the picture is much different than my birds eye so please get more info from others here who have been doing this longer than I, your chickens eye to me looks like it may have a dermis infection where as mine was the whole side of the head almost, and the eye was swollen shut.

I would say though things to keep on hand as I am learning are coxi medicine, Tylan, and pink eye medicine, and I have started using apple cider vinegar for wormer and just overall preventative medicine.

get more info as to should you treat it as an eye infection or not and hang in there. lots of good people here with good info you are headed in the right direction just keep learning from the guru's here as I am...

Hi
Hot2Pot could be right, eye worm or coryza are 2 possibility's " if she has a cheese looking discharge it is most likely one of these.

But she may have just been pecked or scratched it, or got some dirt or dust in it.

Get some Iodine and water it down,and use an eye dropper to drop some in, and keep your eye on her, I recently had a young Pullet get her self trapped behind The Broody boss hen in her nest box and her eye was all weepy and puffed right out, I gave her some antibiotics and the eye drops, and kept her separate, and by the next day her eye was nearly normal "just ever so slightly swollen, and the following day she was back to normal.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Bill

Back
Top Bottom